Name this coral

Barch

Reefing newb
I got this a few weeks back and it seems to be doing really well in my tank. I can't remember the name the LFS gave me. It has great movement in my tank and is growing pretty fast. What is it? Thanks
DSCN0329_zps459c1052.jpg

If you can count the tentacles on the end of the polyp,( not very easy) if it has 24, it's a gonipora. If it has 12 ,it's a avelapora.

Why will it be a challenge? In the lfs it didn't even have light on it? Looked like it was pretty much self sustained

He was saying the anemone will be a challenge in a young tank because they require very mature stable tanks...which usually take 8-12 months. And then the lighting is a whole other issue(which they require bright light).

Oh OK....thx smitty...damn I hope it goes well...I know I def have proper lighting to sustain , but crazy how the lfs had pretty much none...will I have to worry if it doesn't make it...like a toadstool if u don't catch it in time will bomb ur tank?

+1 Smitty. I'm still too scared to get an anemone. If they die they can compromise the health of your whole tank. Check out liveaquaria.com Gives great recommendations on what is easy and what is not easy to maintain in your tank.

Yea....but they only specify on certain corals...I guess I really gotta stop listening to the lfs .... I'm going to take a break on purchases for a while...got suckered into a star polyp and all it did was give my flame angel food!!! Can't be mad though , at least I know he's not hungry

Yea....but they only specify on certain corals...I guess I really gotta stop listening to the lfs .... I'm going to take a break on purchases for a while...got suckered into a star polyp and all it did was give my flame angel food!!! Can't be mad though , at least I know he's not hungry
Look under anemones which is an invert not a coral.

You weren't suckered on the star polyps, some flames will eat corals, some will not. I've had a flame for, geez, a year? He's never touched any of my corals. And I have a huge star polyp colony.
+1 Salt for brains, the anemone is an invert, liveaquaria.com gives a pretty accurate description and care instructions for the sebae.

Wow....I thought it wouldn't be up there...thx I'm gonna check it out right now...I was actually gonna try and Google it first...good thing I read this...and funny u mention that about the flame...he seemed to ease off the star and its beginning to blossom really nicely

It's unlikely he would consume it and then just stop. He may not be doing it right now but he will.

With any dwarf angel in a reef tank you run the risk of them consuming some corals. If they do, it can be a real pain in the ass.

Also, the anemone is incredibly difficult to keep. They require very high lighting conditions and pristine water quality. It is generally not recommended that they be kept by novice aquarists. I would recommend you see if you can return it for a refund or store credit. If it does die it will release many thousands of nematocysts into the water which will crash the entire tank very quickly.

Anemones are not corals, they are are inverts, as mentioned previously, and require some very specific care and knowledge. I recommend that if you do decide to keep it (bad idea imo) that you read extensively on how to care for them. If you do not, it will only be your own fault when it crashes the tank.

if the LFS didn't havea light on it then it was dying anyway so returning it to that store would just kill it anyways. I have read on multiple sites and a few white papers over the years that a dead anenome will potentially cause an ammonia spike (like anything else that is left to rot in the tank) but the cysts will only kill your inhabitants if they are allowed to get into the water column. This could happen from powerheads or pumps tearing them up, and I guess to an extent if there was something large enough to really try to eat it and rip it apart. We had an anemone that died while we were on vacation. I assume it was dead for approx 5 days (we had a house sitter that said she couldnt find it after the 3rd day, and it was a huge nem so it was easily seen if healthy). By the time we got home I had a trace reading of ammonia but I ended up finding it behind some rocks, delicately yanked it out, did a healthy water change, and all inhabitants were fine. I am yet to see/hear/experience first hand of a dead nem literally nuking an entire tank without "the rest of the story" having a viable explanation

if the LFS didn't havea light on it then it was dying anyway so returning it to that store would just kill it anyways. I have read on multiple sites and a few white papers over the years that a dead anenome will potentially cause an ammonia spike (like anything else that is left to rot in the tank) but the cysts will only kill your inhabitants if they are allowed to get into the water column. This could happen from powerheads or pumps tearing them up, and I guess to an extent if there was something large enough to really try to eat it and rip it apart. We had an anemone that died while we were on vacation. I assume it was dead for approx 5 days (we had a house sitter that said she couldnt find it after the 3rd day, and it was a huge nem so it was easily seen if healthy). By the time we got home I had a trace reading of ammonia but I ended up finding it behind some rocks, delicately yanked it out, did a healthy water change, and all inhabitants were fine. I am yet to see/hear/experience first hand of a dead nem literally nuking an entire tank without "the rest of the story" having a viable explanation

+1 they would have to be unfired nematocysts to do that kind of damage. Ammonia spikes could be a killer not toxins released by the nem.

Wow...well listen to what's been going on with it...it tucked itself into a small corner in between two rocks...I've read sometimes they just don't like where they are located so it didn't really bother me...I have two clowns hosting it so I hope that will help it...I was thinking of rearranging my rocks to give it a nice spot on the sand bed...but now u guys are getting me nervous thinking its gonna die or I purchased a dieing anemone...

:frustrat:

What color is it? Has the color changed since you got it?

The fact that it found a spot and anchored is actually a good thing. I wouldn't try to move it....especially any time soon. Just watch it carefully and get ready to yank it if something goes wrong.

I noticed a little yellowish yesterday...but wasn't sure if it was the area the clown was rubbing reflection... no obvious color change....still whitish clear with blueish purple tips

Back