Name your favorite tang!

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
So, I'm planning my stock list for the 125gallon, and I want a tang of some variety. What's your favorite that would be suitable for that size tank? The ones I've seen that are the most interesting to me are the clown tang, the chevron tang or an achilles tang... experience with these? other suggestions? :sfish:

Powder Brown for sure. I love the color on them and they aren't one of the insanely difficult ones to keep.

I think Achilles Tangs need really massive tanks don't they?

either a hippo tang or a chevron tang! both are gorgeous and fun to look at...except the hippo falls into the finnicky ick collumn as well...but we have been fortunate with ours!
Oh yea powder browns and orange shoulders are nice too!

Of the three you listed, the chevron tang is by far the easiest of them. Both clown tangs and achilles tangs are near impossible to keep. In my 240, I tried a clown tang twice, and failed twice :( They are fish that I would never try to buy again. They are extremely delicate fish, and I'd say they need more than 100 gallons.

powder blues can be sickly they get ich a lot but if you take the right steps and qt it in some meds you will have much better chances of the fish living a long time

True. Ut is all that work worth it when there are many other options. To some and maby most maby yes. Just to me no. The fish should be the easiest part of a reef tank. But people feel diffrent about diffrent things

my lfs medicates all their fish so i dont half to but if they did not i would i have never had ich in my tank. by taking the right steps you can avoid things like ich. something that can wipe out you livestock.20 bucks in meds of possibly hundreds of dollars of fish

True but they have been known to get ich more than once. U can cure them and then they get ich later down the line. Thats what hapoened ro the worker at my lfs and he is the only person i have asked

if you kill it in a qt it will never come back. but you must kill it on the fish and in the tank that means at least 6 week of meds and a fallow tank. then after that it has to be introduced they do not always have it. once it is dead it is dead and will not come back. if his fish got it again it was either not treated the correct way to kill it or never left the tank empty for 6 weeks or added a fish to the tank that had it and reintroduced it to the tank

Back