Nasty Hermits

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
A couple of my hermits have grown really big recently, after I gave them bigger shells, and now they are attacking my turbos? What do to?

video tape it?

i guess my first question is, are they really attacking, cause my hermits will investigate the snails, but they dont hurt anyone...

if they're actually attacking, then you have a couple options, sepperate them by putting someone in the fuge, or another tank or someone elses tank, or you can allways just get more snails to replace the ones you loose, i guess...

I'd probably put the offending crabs in my sump or fuge or some in each...

yea, mine will pick at the shell a bit, i dont care about that, figure its just them being friendly like chimps do in the woods, finding each others fleas...

as long as the crab isnt mess'n with the soft meaty parts of the snail, i wouldnt sweat it...

crabs will usually steal the shells from your snails, if they like that one better. Of course they will kill the snail to take it.

i had one large hermit that as soom as i added some large snails the damb hermit flipped the snail over and started pulling it out of the shell so i took the large hermit and put him in the sump and he lived there for a couple mpore years than passed

hey are mantis shrimp hard to keep. and do they need a large tank for lets say a peacock mantis

They are the easiest invert to keep hands down. They do fine in a 20-30 gallon tank. When they get full size you need to be cautious of them breaking the glass, but I have kept them for 10+ years and only had a tank get cracked one time.

thanks that is one animal that i have always wanted to get. i need to start looking into getting a species tank up and running

my LFS has one, not a peacock but jesus its so aggressive and violent. they fed it and in a few seconds the poor lil crab was in pieces getting his guts ate

dcan, well don't hand feed them. lol.

My last mantis was gentle she wouldn't kill a live crab, and would just reach up and get her frozen silverside.

Thats why mine got traded.I was getting TO comfortable when feeding him.Plus the kids got to wanting to hand feed him.
There 2 types of folks that get hurt with animals.Those that are afraid of em and those that have no respect for what the animal can do.

Back