Need a DSLR!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
I've been looking around on Amazon.com and ritzcamera.com for a DSLR camera. and looking at different reviews and prices but none seem to be specific about the medium that I want to take it for. My reef! So I thought I would ask you guys and see what works for you and see if I might work for me.

I don't want to break budget, as you know, I am keeping an aquarium... I was thinking around 400 at the least and 600 at the very highest.

stop looking at ritz camera, stay at amazon.com, adorama.com, and bhphotovideo.com they are the best. also your not really gonna find a good dslr for that price range because you have to buy the camera, usually sold body only. then your going to need lenses, this is not a cheap hobby and i would say is more expensive then the aquarium hobby. but that being said if you know where to look you can get some pretty good deals.

this is the camera i have and i love it, its an entery level DSLR so itll be more advanced then a P&S but it wont be compeltely unfamilar and impossible to use. if you get that camera youll also need to get a lens or two, a memory card, a case for protection, and a tripod would be another good investment

also let me add that the reason you cant find anything that is good at taken reef pictures is because its not the camera that takes the great pics, its the user and the lens that do most of the work

Ritz Camera went out of business and liquidated all their merchandise. My uncle got thousands of dollars of camera equipment for a fraction of its normal price. It's not a bad place to look right now.

Oh and STAY AWAY from Prestige Camera and any subsidiary company or name associated with them. Read ripoffreport.com on whatever company you plan on buying your equipment from BEFORE you buy. Trust me! I wish I did before I bought my 1080p Sony projector.

Oh and STAY AWAY from Prestige Camera and any subsidiary company or name associated with them. Read ripoffreport.com on whatever company you plan on buying your equipment from BEFORE you buy. Trust me! I wish I did before I bought my 1080p Sony projector.
thats why i gave him three companies that are very trusted

I went with the Sony A350. I am very happy so far, being my first dslr, its very easy to use, iso capable to 3200, image stabilation is in the body of the camera as opposed to the lens, this makes future lens purchases cheaper. 14megapixels, although that should not be your main consideration. Also, at this time, Sony is the only one making a decent usable live view, which you will find yourself using less, but is handy when making the transition. I love it, can't say much more.

Dustin, which part? The live view? I read about two nights worth of revews before choosing the camera. The one thing agreed upon by virtually everyone is that nobody comes close to having a live view feature near as good as the Sony.......doesn't mean its the best camera by any means, but it does mean it makes the transition from P/S to DSLR easier for the beginner

I never use live view either, but for someone moving up from a p/s, it can be handy. I'll admit I was tossed up between the xsi and the sony, but the sony won out due to the live view for Mel, and the image stabilization in the body as opposed to the lens. Canon and Nikon have huge lens selections, but the fact is for 98% of everyone who buys one of these things, Sony/Minolta will have all the lenses they will ever need as well

i now wish i waited on my purchase of my xsi so that i could have bought the new canon t1i

You will be saying that every time they come out with a new body. Couple months after I bought my 40D they came out with the 50D It has a way better lcd. but to many mp's. I do that to but also keep thinking about switching to Nikon I really like the D700, Then again I also like the 5DMKII but I think I am going to wait until the video is better ( more control of it). would be sweet to have hd with L glass:bounce:

You will be saying that every time they come out with a new body. Couple months after I bought my 40D they came out with the 50D It has a way better lcd. but to many mp's. I do that to but also keep thinking about switching to Nikon I really like the D700, Then again I also like the 5DMKII but I think I am going to wait until the video is better ( more control of it). would be sweet to have hd with L glass:bounce:
well the difference with the xsi to t1i upgrade and the 40d to 50d upgrade is pretty different. with the 50d you get more megapixels and a better lcd. but the upgrade to the t1i is you get HD video on an entry level dslr. also if you buy a 5dmarkII then you better be using L series glass. and in june canon will be launching a firmware update that allows full manual control of the HD video

Back