need a good filter

mcazurin

Reefing newb
hey guys...i was wondering, i need a good filter for my 120 gallon tank.... can anyone tell me which is a good one to buy...im not worried about price...so help me out

Canister filters can cause exsess nitrates if not cleaned out weekly or more. If your set on a canister I have always like the magnum 350. In a saltwater tank the only filtration you need is alot of live rock and a good skimmer.

I have never ran a canister filter before but have heard the same thing that Bobby mentioned. if there not well maintained and regularly cleaned then they can cause more problems than they prevent. plenty of live rock and a good protein skimmer is the way to go in opinion.

most of the filters ive been searching for are mostly up to 100 gallons....i need something more than 100 gallons...my tank is 120 gallons....someone help me out...wats a good canister filter.?

The magnum 350 is for a 125 gal tank and they work great. I have used them on my 125 fresh water when Inhad it and was very pleased with it. I think the eheim's make a stronger one but I have never used them or read much about them so I cant give advise on them.

If you consider the CPR Cy-294 wet dry you willnot only resolve your skimmer need but you will also have a filter inplace. just a thought. as for a canister filter for a 120 + I would consider the Lifeguard series componet packaged to suit your needs, or, the Rena Filstar XP4, or, the Ocean Clear, or, the Eheim Pro III . Hope this helps a bit.

hey is that cpr cy-294 a filter/protein skimmer as well? i dont need hole drilling in order to have this do i? its one that has a hang on the back overflow rite?

now im thinking about doing wet/dry filter....is dat better than canister filters for saltwater tanks? so if i get a wet/dry filter , i sould also need a syphon overflow kit aswell?

A good wet/dry is the only way to go on saltwater,IMO.But yeah,you'll either have to have a syphon overflow or drill your tank.Thats your choice

I switched to a Magum 350 Delux for my reef and have been very happy. I only use the carbon (not the sponge like sleeve) and it works great. Water levels always stay constant and it's crystal clear. I change the carbon / clean the filter about once per month. I just have a 46 gallon - I get enough water flow from just the pump itself I do not need to use additional powerheads.

mcazurin said:
now im thinking about doing wet/dry filter....is dat better than canister filters for saltwater tanks? so if i get a wet/dry filter , i sould also need a syphon overflow kit aswell?

Yes....some wet/dry comes with an overflow kit.

Back