need a new protein skimmer

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hi all. I have received an older 75gallon tank and all the equipment but I need to replace some of it. For one I need a new protein skimmer. I have read the recommendations but I am curious which one is the most quiet because the tank is going to be setup in the main living room. The one I have is a Red Sea Prizm which I haven't read very good things on and it is very loud. Does anyone have suggestions for the really quiet skimmers.

Well, what "all" came with the setup? Is there sump? If so, go with something you can place in your sump. I have a Reef Octopus 110 in my 29G (rated to 90, but you should look at something rated at double your tank size) and you can't even hear it, produce's A LOT of skimmate and is working like a charm.

The new thing in skimmers is the "cone shaped" technology. It all comes down to your budget. Reef Octopus puts out quality equipment at an affordable price. If your going to keep a high bio load you need to get something that can handle the :pooh:, literally.

In any case, WELCOME TO THE LIVING REEFS! Everyone here is happy to help. We're fellow hobbyists that have "been there, done that" so don't be afraid or nervous to ask questions.

thanks for the advise I will look for those, there is no sump and it will have to be a hang-on type. Again I am more interested in something that is quiet or more quiet then this thing I have now.

I see. Are you interested in installing a sump? It's easy, and will make your water more stable because your increasing your water volume. A simple, non complicated, sump design would be an overflow (to remove water from your display tank), a tank that that fit in your stand with some baffles to hold the water in the skimmer compartment at a constant level and a return pump.

If your just interested in a HOB skimmer, again, look at Octopus skimmers or Aqua C Remora skimmers. The Remora's are pretty noisy, but I had one before and placed a folded moist paper towel over the injection chamber and it reduced the noise by 85%. Although some of the Octopus models come with a needle wheel pump, which will create more bubbles.

Bottom line when buying a skimmer: Spend the $$ now so you don't spend it later.

I'm also going to buy another skimmer soon. Each month I plan on buying one but something always comes up, whether it be some pretty new coral or whatever.

Anyhow, for performance you cannot beat octopus for the money. However, from what I have read there are no silent hob skimmers. There are things that you can do to quiet them down, but they are always gonna be there. You get used to the noise real quickly but new people coming to your house will notice it.

That's at least what I've found in my looking around. Personally I always try to do what's best for my tank over what I prefer. And that's hard because it inconveniences people in my house sometimes.

If you are just going to do fish you don't have to get a skimmer. Something to maybe consider.

the octo 800s is very quiet. and yes with just fish you still want to have a skimer you can get by without one but you will have to keep on water changes

My dad just got his Octo 800s in. Actually just walked in the door from setting it up.

It's extremely easy to setup.
It makes so many bubbles the reaction chamber looks alot like milk.
It is surprisingly quiet.
It works, lol..which is a big change from my dads seaclone.

Overall I'd give it an A+, considering I have tons and tons of experience with saltwater tanks my opinion definitely matters.....:bounce:

Even though I don't really know what I'm talking about it looks like it will do a good job. It had been running an hour and already had skimmate in the collection cup.

if you want you can drill a gole in the first chamber about were the elbow is for the intake jsut under the hole o the other side to make it kida like a recirc skimmer.

Back