Need Equipment Help for NEW REEF BUILD! 75 gal

Reefing newb
I am trying to setup a 75 gallon reef tank. (FIRST TIME WITH A SUMP AND EXTREMELY CONFUSED)

This tank will be in my bedroom so I need equipment that is near silent.

Also on 2nd floor and need to be flood proof

So far what I have,

*75 gallon marineland tank with built in overflows/drilled. (comes with plumbing kit)

I have all equipment like lighting, heaters, power heads and livestock,

I NEED ALL EQUIPMENT TO RUN A SUMP AND A PROTEIN SKIMMER IF NECESSARY? HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO BUY OR HOW SETUP A SUMP.
Confuesed on return pumps, and pumps of all kinds or whatever to run this thing

is SUmp and refugium same thing?

I did however find this OLD acrylic, i think its a sump, in my basement, not sure if this will work for me OR is it garbage? came for free when i purchased my 220 gal freshwater tank. can this acrylic sump LEAK? picture below, I am guessing its 20-25 gallons

sump.jpg

sump2.jpg

Can anyone help me with this sump setup?

Hello!

Two of the items you mentioned are going to be a challenge.

Near -silent. Well you may be able to reduce the noise, but I doubt you will get anywhere close to silence. In my limited experience, the overflow + drain will make noise. You can limit this by (1) use a Durso standpipe in your overflow box. I did this in my 60 - made a huge improvement. (2) For your drain line, use as straight of a run as possible. I used "sweep" instead of standard 90 degree elbows. It made a slight improvement. (3) Somebody recommended putting an "air release" in the drain line. I didn't do this in mine (didn't catch it in time) but I can see where it would be very helpful. (4) Soundproof your sump area. Of course this means closing it in, which will result in higher temperature in the cabinet.

Issue #2 - "Leak proof". I would venture to say there is no such thing. But you can take steps to minimize the risk of leaks, and be prepared in case it happens. That's my biggest fear, and I'm in a single-story! I saw one post where the builder designed his sump cabinet where it would be able to retain a large amount of water, if a leak was to occur.

A sump is just a sump; whereas a refugium is a separate tank designed to provide "refuge" from the main display tank. Lots of folks add a light to their sump, and use as a refugium. There are all sorts of posts on building one.

Sorry your pictures aren't showing for me - will check from home later today.

Of course I completely agree with Little Fish and Smitty - absolutely do a leak check!! Had mine all plumbed, ready to go. Filled with tap water and started up - was fine for a few hours. Then I started noticing seepage in the corners at the top. Ended up bringing the tank back for a repair. Was a big setback (had to redo the plumbing when I got it back home) but sure was better than if I had filled it with S/W, sand and rock.

Good luck!
-bk

I think I might be able to help with the noise...

My tank is RIGHT next to my bed and doesn't have any doors on the stand, but I've been able to make it fairly quiet. First off I'm using quiet equipment like a magdrive pump and a bubble magus skimmer.

And to prevent the overflow from making any noise, I have a valve on that pipe so that the water going in to the overflow doesn't have any trouble keeping up with the water flowing through the pipe. This does restrict the flow a little...

And I'm not really sure about that sump... I guess you could use it but you wouldn't be able to have a fuge.

I made a sump out of an old 30 gallon tank and plexiglass baffles. And it's working fine after redoing the silicon for the 3rd time... :|

I think I might be able to help with the noise...

My tank is RIGHT next to my bed and doesn't have any doors on the stand, but I've been able to make it fairly quiet. First off I'm using quiet equipment like a magdrive pump and a bubble magus skimmer.

And to prevent the overflow from making any noise, I have a valve on that pipe so that the water going in to the overflow doesn't have any trouble keeping up with the water flowing through the pipe. This does restrict the flow a little...

Sir Alex do you have ideas how I can quiet mine down? The overflow is fine - most of the noise seems to be from the drain line, into the refugium. Had you heard about the "air release" I mentioned? My wife would be *so* happy if I can find a way to quiet it down a bit. And I just happen to be using a magdrive pump and a bubble magus skimmer! :)

Thanks!
-bk

Sir Alex do you have ideas how I can quiet mine down? The overflow is fine - most of the noise seems to be from the drain line, into the refugium. Had you heard about the "air release" I mentioned? My wife would be *so* happy if I can find a way to quiet it down a bit. And I just happen to be using a magdrive pump and a bubble magus skimmer! :)

Thanks!
-bk

If there's to much water being pulled through the drain line, it's going start sucking air. Is that what's happening with your tank?

If there's to much water being pulled through the drain line, it's going start sucking air. Is that what's happening with your tank?

I don't think so - of course I may be wrong. I just hear a really loud "sloshing" sound in the drain line, continuing down to the water output into the sump.

Yes - bigtime. They do help to float the Cheato in the refugium though - I thought that was a good thing! Seriously are bubbles a sign that drain pipes aren't sized correctly?

-bk

If bubbles are coming out that means it's catching air which would cause noise. If you don't mind loosing a little flow through the sump, you can add a valve to the drain line and close it enough so no air gets sucked in.

As far as I know, there's no real problem to the bubbles but the noise except, my protein skimmer is right next to my drain so it can effect it's performance if too many bubbles are getting in to it,

I am fighting this exact same noise. My external pumps are damn near silent, but I always hear a gurgling sound from the drain thats on the far side of the tank to where it empties out into the sump

If bubbles are coming out that means it's catching air which would cause noise. If you don't mind loosing a little flow through the sump, you can add a valve to the drain line and close it enough so no air gets sucked in.

As far as I know, there's no real problem to the bubbles but the noise except, my protein skimmer is right next to my drain so it can effect it's performance if too many bubbles are getting in to it,

Appreciate the advice - I will see if I can fit a valve in there somewhere. Not thrilled about cutting into my hard work, but my wife will be - if it helps!

-bk

Back