Need help choosing lights

Greasy Joe Bick

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, now that my 55 gallon breeder has been cyclying for a few days, It's time to order the proper lighting for my tank.

As much as I'd love to buy some of the AquaticLife models, I simply can't afford it. I've been looking at Odyssea's models and will probally go with one of their setups. The question I had was which one?

I know i need at least 220w of light for SPS but I'm not sure which way to go. Should I just go with a complete metal halide system like

Odyssea Metal Halide System

Or should I buy two t5 HO fixtures like these

Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

Odyssea T5 High Output Aquarium Lighting

I could combine the two t5 HO fixtures above and it will give me enough lighting.

What option would you choose? I'm not 100% certain on the differences between MH and t5 HO. Which setup would give me the most options in timing, color of lighting. and quality of light?

I have a 55 Gallon saltwater tank. DO NOT GET A CHEAP LIGHT. Lighting is what runs your whole tank. if you don't have lighting then there is no life in your tank. You want to get one light and not two lights if you want to make your tank look better. I recommend this light. It has enough light and PAR to keep mostly anything. It doesn't rack up your electric bill as much as a MH fixture. It comes with 4x54 watt bulbs and they are not cheap bulbs.

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixtures

Back