Need HELP!! Emergency!!

JohnnyDanger

Reefing newb
So I went out of town for 5 days for a cruise and had a friend come by my house and feed my fish while I was gone. I premixed the frozen foods and arranged the dry foods so it would be easier for her. I got home yesterday and found my Potters and angel dying under a rock. He's been in the tank for a little over a month and has been doing great. I pulled him out and went to bed. I woke up this morning and found all of my fish absolutely covered in small white specks which appear to be ich!! I also am seeing a ton of very very very small white things crawling around on my glass.. It's like all hell is breaking loose in my tank.. I can't even get a picture of the small white things on the glass to show you guys.. I'm thinking that since I didn't dip the Potters angel before putting him in the tank, he brought in the ich even tho he didn't show any signs of having it prior to putting him in or after he died. I'm freaking out here.. Can anybody PLEASE help me out before ALL my fish and livestock die!? I haven't had one problem with killing anything until now and I had a feeling a crash or something was coming..

Sorry to hear that...start by doing a nice water change first. If you don't have corals in there, I'd start lowering the salinity levels too so that you can start treating the ick with hyposalinity. Good luck.

I have a bunch of pretty rare frags I recently purchased so hyposalinity is out the window.. I have no clue what to do here.. Thanks for the quick response though..

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest hypo with corals. Best thing to do is do a water change, start feeding the fish with high nutritional foods soaked in garlic, and try to let them fight it off themselves. :)

I already went out and bought a new pack of mysis and fed them since I put this post up.. They all ate a lot without adding garlic so at least I got that going for me.. I'm about to head out and do a 50% water change (25 gallons). I need to get this sorted out..

The tiny white specks are probably pods. Don't worry about them.

What else do you have in the tank?

If they're all eating I wouldn't worry too much. They might be able to fight it off on their own. Hypo (or copper) and transfer to a tank where you would be able to preform these treatments would be incredibly stressful to the fish at this point.

The only thing you can do is a water change, check the water and ride it out. If the remaining fish are eating that is a great sign. Dont over feed them in a rush to try and make them better. Check all your equipment and make sure it is working correctly.

Right now I have a tomini tang, a pair of clowns and a yellow fin flasher wrasse.. I also have a RBTA and a cleaner shrimp.. I also have a ton of different corals.. Ill do my water changes later today and try to get this mess cleaned up.. Thanks for the help guys!!

I did every measure I could to save my fish, but sadly I woke up to another loss this morning.. My yellow fin flasher wrasse died over night.. I did a 20 gallon water change last night, added garlic to my food, and fed only the most nutritious foods I could find. All the fish were eating great including the wrasse but I guess he just couldn't make it.. That leaves my Tomini Tang and my pair of clowns left.. =(

I am sorry to hear about your losses, but I am not surprised that trouble started with the Potters. Very few of them make it long term in captivity, and those that do are housed in large tanks. I don't see a 55 being a suitable home for one long term. I had mine for a little over two years, before I had some source water contamination that killed off several of my fish

All my inverts are doing just fine.. My anemone is fully opened and all my corals are open as well.. Crabs and shrimp are going about their lives same as always..

There is probably some pathogen in the tank that is effecting the fish then. It just takes one stressed fish to stress everyone else out, and then add one more stressor and they all come down with the illness.

Back