Need help fast!

JustKeepSwimming

Reefing newb
OK, I feel like a moron, but I can't figure this out. I have everything that came with my Reef Octopus sump connected (pump that came with it connects to air intake on end and skimmer on side). It appears that the water discharges from the skimmer back into the sump. So what do I hook the vinyl hose from my return sprayer to to complete the circuit? Do I need a second pump for that? I feel stupid, but this is not making sense. Help, please!:sfish:

I'm posting a picture of my set-up, but it's kind of hard to see everything. The vinyl hose leading back to tank is lying in front. I guess I need a separate return pump to hook this into? The skimmer is a Reef Octopus NW-110-6520B. I've posted a picture of the sump assembled from the box.
I thought the pump included handled the return to the main tank, but I guess not. Not familiar at all with marine filtration, obviously!:sfish:

Attachments

• sump with skimmer.jpg
    sump with skimmer.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 465
  • skimmer box.jpg
    skimmer box.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 389
i have the nw150 and my skimmed water shoots over a divider to the
return pump. the hole in the gate valve is metric not standard

Yup, you do need a separate return pump to pump water from the sump back to the main tank. The pump for the skimmer only works to create the bubbles and move water through the skimmer. The good news is you've got yourself a great skimmer! There are several types of return pumps you can use, but you want to make sure to get one that pumps water back at just a slightly higher rate than the water flows down through your overflow. I added a ball valve to my return line as well to help regulate flow. Do you have a drilled tank or a hang on back overflow box? The other thing you can do is add a few more pvc pieces to the end of the gate valve where your skimmer dumps water back into the sump to help cut down on micro bubbles.

I have a hang-on-the-back overflow. I just bought a 350 gph return pump (I read on another thread that the gph of the pump should be about 3 to 5 times the number of gallons the tank holds, and I have a 72 gal). I'm not sure how fast the water comes down from my overflow since I couldn't run the sump without the return pump. If the return pumps faster than the water runs down from the overflow, then how do I keep the water level constant in the sump?

I have a hang-on-the-back overflow. I just bought a 350 gph return pump (I read on another thread that the gph of the pump should be about 3 to 5 times the number of gallons the tank holds, and I have a 72 gal). I'm not sure how fast the water comes down from my overflow since I couldn't run the sump without the return pump. If the return pumps faster than the water runs down from the overflow, then how do I keep the water level constant in the sump?

I also have a HOB overflow with a single outlet. I did a google search and finally found the model that most closely resembled mine on Amazon, and found info on the rate of flow that way. I think my rate of flow down to the sump is around 400gph, give or take, and I bought a return pump that was somewhere around 500-600gph. The water going back into your tank won't be quite a strong of flow as what the pump is rated for simply because the pump will lose some power as it pumps water up 4-6ft into your tank (I assume you have your sump under your stand? Adding a ball valve will help control flow also to keep your water level constant - I had to play with mine quite a bit to get it constant. When you try it the first time, just really keep an eye on it for a good 30-60m to make sure you dont' have water either pumping back too quickly into your DT or draining too quickly into your sump.

Also, be prepared that when you turn your pump off it will create a reverse siphon and water will drain back into the sump through the return line. Are you using a J tube for where your water dumps back into the tank? If so, you can drill a couple of holes just below the water line to break the siphon.

Last edited:

You must (MUST!) put a ball valve on the return line after the pump so you can dial it down if necessary. Having the pump be too weak isn't an issue, as the overflow box can only put water in the sump as fast as the pump can pump it back up. But if the pump is too strong, your display tank can overflow if the overflow box cannot keep up.

Back