Need Help With a Question?

ltljokersbetterhalf

ltljokers #1
Ok everyone here is the problem and the question. I have a 2' blue ribbon eel in my reef tank that digs in the sand for some damn reason.:grumble: Well this morning I woke up to a rock slide in my tank and I amwondering if te eel digging in the sand would have caused the rock slide? the unfortunate part of this scenerio is that my powder brown that I finally had luck keeping alive and no ich issues was crucshed by a rock:frustrat::frustrat:

Do you have your rocks on top of the sand? If so, that could have been what happened. Always place your rock on the glass first, then arrange the sand around it. Or else a burrowing animal can cause a rock slide by moving the sand underneath them.

Sorry about your loss. :(

That sucks... I don't know that you have any good options to prevent that from happening in the future. Either move your rocks to the bottom, or take out the fish that dig in the sand.

A 2ft ribbon eel could have moved the rock enough to cause a slide.Its surprising at just how strong they can be.

I just recently redid all of my rock work. I used 3/4" PVC to make a frame, drilled holes in the rock, and then tie strapped them to the PVC. It takes a long time, but it makes it very sturdy. If you do it, the rock won't go anywhere. I drilled holes throughout the PVC so that detritus doesn't get trapped in it. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it, but it is time consuming.

Nice thing about it is you can do stuff with rock that you wouldn't normally be able to do...and you can use a bunch of rubble rock to make some cool formations.

Back