need help with this

To test for other bad chems not normally found in a tank, do a TDS test! It might help but there could be other chems in the tank that can kill in low amounts. I have black lava from Hawaii rock (sorry Pelee) in my attic and I would never put it in my tank.

it sounds like you are on to something here, but just one last thought on the Lava rock: Most of what you can get in the pet stores for fish displays is not real lava. It is synthetic rock and from the research I did, it will not leach heavy metals. I mention that because I too have some Lava in my tank. I had about 30lbs from my days of freshwater and they have neat holes through them and so I washed them carefully and in they went. I have a total of about 125-150 lbs of LR and the lava is mixed in with it. I have been up and running for about 9 months and no problems keeping any fish or inverts. All that to say this, you should continue to monitor yor setup closely and not just assume it's the lava. I would pull it out as suggested, but don't assume the problem is solved. Good Luck!

To test for other bad chems not normally found in a tank, do a TDS test! It might help but there could be other chems in the tank that can kill in low amounts. I have black lava from Hawaii rock (sorry Pelee) in my attic and I would never put it in my tank.
I am curious about this. I just got a TDS meter with my RODI and I was tempted to test the tank water but I chose not to as I was concerned about the salt corroding the sensors. I also wasn't sure what I should expect to find so any reading would be meaningless. I assumed that with all the life in the tank, that they would increase the tds count? Any thoughts on what the tds count should be in a reef tank? Is there something I can rinse the meter with the prevent it from corroding? any other general advice about TDS in reef tanks?

I doubt a TDS would do much good except for checking fresh water.
You've got to remember that a salt water tank has things like SALT of course,calcium,alkalinity buffers,and other such elements and minerals that the TDS is probably going to pick up on.

To test for other bad chems not normally found in a tank, do a TDS test!

Yeah this will not work. TDS stands for "Total Dissolved Solids or Salts". A TDS meter will measure and count everything in the water that is not, well, water. It does not distinguish between "good solids" i.e. salt and "bad solids" i.e. metals. You will just end up getting some number, and you'll have no idea of knowing WHAT that number is counting. That's why a TDS meter is useful for testing RODI water, which should have a TDS close to zero. All of the solids and salts should have been removed from the RODI water, so a TDS meter will tell you how close to zero it is. If it is not close to zero, the TDS meter does not tell you what is in the water.

Thanks biffy! I knew you would be able to clear this up. I figured this was the case, I just wasn't sure what items would read on a tds meter and which would not, ie. salt, magnesium, calcium etc.

TDS includes all organic and inorganic substances in water. The most common of these substances are calcium, phosphates, nitrates, sodium, potassium and chloride.

Back