Need help!

graycharlotte49

Reefing newb
I just purchased a barely used 55 gallon that came with 2, 24" lids bulbs, an aqua clear 300 pump, thermometer, heater, magna float glass cleaner and an iron stand. I have been doing tons of research for about two weeks now and have talked to a couple of people in the SW industry as well as other hobbyists. (Just for the record, one person was just down-right stupid, but we wont go there.) Anyway, I have gotten conflicting opinions and essentially no help from everyone so far. So I figure this is where I turn to you. I need help.

I have the 55 gallon tank. First off, the fish I have decided on are aggressive. I only plan on keeping no more than about 4 fish in this tank. Now, I have heard conflicting opinions on whether it should be a FO or a FOWLR. Need more opinions and a general consensus. Obviously LR has many advantages. No coral or inverts will be kept in the tank. Now for filters. One person told me Eheim Ecco 2235 External Canister Filter was hands down the best. Another said Marineland Magnum 350 was the best. And then I was told a sump (but then they wouldnt really explain how that works). :shock: So, what is it? If someone could explain to me exactly what the sump consists of, what it does and if its cost effective/beneficial I would really appreciate it. (I do know, however, that it has the protein skimmer in it.) Now comes LS. I have heard go with fine grain LS and I have heard go with SS like crushed coral. Again, not a clue, so I need some help with this.

Basically what this boils down to is that I have read so much information and talked to so many people that have given me conflicting advice that I have no idea what is right!

OK ,First of all you came to the right place.BUT,your still going to get alot of different oppinions on the hows and whys of things,but thats perfectly normal because every system is different.
Lets tackle the LR first.
Basicly the LR has all kinds of bacteria that help to break down waste products like fish waste and uneattin food.It also houses lots of small and often unseen critters that help clean up your substrate.
Personaly id go with LR,But thats strictly up to you.
Now for the filters:
Canisters are great For fresh water.
Canisters can cause all kinds of trouble in a salt water system.You'll have to clean it out at least once a week to keep your water perimeters in check.In my experence with them,every time you open them up to clean them and replace the media you get air trapped in there,which cause micro-bubbles when the filter is turned back on.
For a 55gal FO or FOWLR I would opt for 2 emperor 400s instead of a canister( just threw my canister out the door this past weekend)
As for a sump,They can actully double as a trickle filter which will get alot of gunk off the surface of your water.The sump part is actually just adding more water to your system ,The secret to pollution is dilution.
Now for sand:
I would use sand instead of crushed coral.Some people say the CC will trap waste.You can vaccume CC where you cant sand.IMO sand looks more natural.So this one is personal prefrence.
As for LS or regular sand,you can use the regular sand(dry) and seed it with a cup or even a full bag of LS.Which will save you some money.

Hope some of this help,and maybe somebody with more experence will jump in.

Well there will certainly be various opinions on the questions you asked. My suggestion is to decide which animals you want, and secure the best equipment a tank decorations to mimic their habitat in nature the best you can. Any external filter be it canister or hang on the back will need to be cleaned frequently, bout every 10 days. I would have preference for a fishonly for a wet dry with bio media and a protein skimmer as part of the wet dry system, or you can use hang on the back or canister filters and keep things in check with frequrent water changes. While we are talking about set up, please go to our helpful articles and browse the 1st page for articles on beginners, setup, etc. you will find a lot of information there that will help you with the middle of the road guidelines and assist in helping to make your mind up on which way to go. good luck, welcome to the site, and I hope your time here is fun and informative.

Thanks a bunch everyone! I have been reading so many articles and sites over the last couple of weeks. I think I've finally decided what to do and what to get. Thanks again! :D

Back