Need ideas

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
I have a 120 gallon tank and i have a few corals but i want some more and i would like some opinions on easy corals that will grow well...

currently i have a button polyp
2 torch corals
goniapora (i no crazy but i got it fr cheap and its doing well so far cross fringers)
tongue/slipper coral

Mushrooms may be a good choice, they are hardy, multiply rapidly (after they establish) and can be placed just about anywhere in your tank. Candycane corals are also a good beginner choice, as are acros or ricordias, which offer neat textures for your tank.

I did notice that you have "fish only" listed in your tag line. Do you have any fish in there that are a threat to corals, such as angels or triggers (who are more likely a threat to your inverts)?

Those lights are about as weak as you can get. Even the few LPS corals you have now are probably struggling under those lights, especially with the depth of a 120.

I would only recommend soft corals for that lighting system. Zoas, mushrooms and leathers.

i also have a pair of T5's resting on the top of the glass 10,000k as well lighting the front area, but everything is doing great in my tank

ok then its probly 108 watts which gives you a total of just over 1 watt per gallon which is still about as low as you can go for coral.

Yeah you are very limited with that lighting. I don't think LPS can survive in your tank... Maybe for the short-term, but not over a long period.

thats e exactly what i was thinkin biff... mayyybbee some of the softies will be ok but thats not enough light for anything else.

I've had my torches for over a year no and my slipper for about 2 the goniapora is the only new addition but are there any really cool looking mushrooms or polyps?

I'm not so sure there are yellow mushrooms, but there are lots of blue, red and orange mushrooms. Mushrooms don't usually have specific names. They are just blue or red mushrooms.

You could also try ricordeas, which are a mushroom variant.

Every Ric I ever get makes its way to an almost completely shaded area which leads me to believe they are great under low light. But I'm also running nearly ten watts per gallon on metal halides.

Very cool, easy to keep coral IMO.

Back