need lights?

joeyv

Reefing newb
i am getting a 150g tank soon and am wondering where is a good place to get my lights? it is 72 inches long but only 20 inches tall. i dont think i will get corals for a while but would like to get some down the road. i just want some powerful lights for a decent price, if anyone knows where i can look let me know. thanks guys

A better question might be...what are your plans for corals down the road?If you want to be unlimited in what you keep,I would go with Metal Halides or T5-HO with individual reflectors.Champion Lighting,Marine Depot, and Dr. Foster & Smith are good places to start.Because of MH electricity consumption and heat issues,I'd decided on this fixture but its not cheap but not that expensive compared to others I've seen........Aquarium Specialty

thanks for the link reeffreak, it seems expensive but your right, compared to others its normal. down the road i plan on having some hardy corals, but i like to keep my options open just in cast. with that fixture what lights would i use and how many?

The fixture holds 14 39w T5 bulbs.As far as what bulbs to choose,that all depends on what look you are looking for.Do you want a blue-ish,purple-ish color or a more balance daylight/actinic look?I'd prolly get the Aquactinic Constellation from Aquarium Specialty or Saltycritter.com but I going to get the bulbs from reefgeek.com. because they understand more about the color I'm looking for.At 20 dollars a pop for bulbs,I want to be sure I get the right combinations of bulbs for a bluish,purplish color yet still have the right spectrum for the corals.(mainly SPS)

I was only giving you one option...check whats in your price range,what corals you are planning on and go from there.Those websites I mentioned earlier are good place to start...try Premium Aquatics also.

thanks man for all the help. it will be a little while before i get anything but atleast i know what to shoot for and where to go. your the man freak

Back