Need some ideas for stock

ChrisQ0904

Reefing newb
Im new to saltwater aquariums but have had a freshwater for a few years now. I have a small Hex tank with about 2" live sand and 38lbs of live rock. I just recieved my custom cuc which was all snails. Prior to that I had 2 emerald crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp. My tank is a 36 Hex. I couldnt find any way for me to possibly fit a sump to use for filtration. I currently have a canister filter with UV, I know that for saltwater they are frowned upon but I plan on adding a HOB protein skimmer in the future once I start adding fish.

So far I was thinking of doing an anemone with a mated pair of clowns (dont know which exact ones though). I was also thinking of adding a goby or two and possibly a barnacle blenny. Lastly I was going to do a variety of different corals.

I know this all cant be added at once but I just wanted to make just that first this set up is ok for a beginner? If not what should I take away/change? Lastly is there any specific order I should add all of these or does it not matter?

Thanks in advanced
-Chris

Im new to saltwater aquariums but have had a freshwater for a few years now. I have a small Hex tank with about 2" live sand and 38lbs of live rock. I just recieved my custom cuc which was all snails. Prior to that I had 2 emerald crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp. My tank is a 36 Hex. I couldnt find any way for me to possibly fit a sump to use for filtration. I currently have a canister filter with UV, I know that for saltwater they are frowned upon but I plan on adding a HOB protein skimmer in the future once I start adding fish.

So far I was thinking of doing an anemone with a mated pair of clowns (dont know which exact ones though). I was also thinking of adding a goby or two and possibly a barnacle blenny. Lastly I was going to do a variety of different corals.

I know this all cant be added at once but I just wanted to make just that first this set up is ok for a beginner? If not what should I take away/change? Lastly is there any specific order I should add all of these or does it not matter?

Thanks in advanced
-Chris
aup chris :):)
i would add the clowns first as they are the hardiest on your list being damsels
on there own they will be fine without a anemone for a while and your skimmer to get straight to work on the proteins ( or before you get the fish would be better as there might be proteins in there from your rock)
then i would add the gobies and lastly the blenny
once the tank is well stable with your new stock i would add some soft corals
then the anemone once the tank is running perfect
then the gobys and lastly the blenny
just the way i would do myself ?????
others may do it different

4-5 fish should be spread out over 4-5 months. I'd recommend waiting on the nem until the tank is at least 6 months old, a year is preferred. Also, Hex tanks are usually fairly deep, what type of lighting are you looking into? And, how dedicated are you going to be with your tank? If you will be lax, I'd recommend a mixture of Softies and LPS. If you are going to be super dedicated, I'd say set a 2 part dosing system for Cal and Alk and go with SPS (provided you have the lighting). Realistically, in this hobby, it's what you like, not what other people like. So, yeah. For a Goby, I'd go with either a Yellow Watchman (paired up with a pistol shrimp :)!) or a Engineer Goby. For the Blenny, I'd go with either a Bicolor or a Lawnmower. They are all relatively hardy fish, and do well in new set ups. Once you decide what type of corals you want to stock (Softies, LPS, SPS), and what type of lighting you are going to have/have already, we can start talking about specifics :).

I have a Solarmax HO 220. It came with two bulbs, one which is a T5 10,000K daylight and a T5 actnic-03 lamp. I also have another light housing that came with the tank when I bought it. Dont have much info on it except that it looks old lol. So i was thinking if I dont have enough light I can put another bulb if I needed to.

Also I was thinking about getting a bio cube skimmer but my tank is 36 gallons and its only rated for 29. Should I just get one that is suitable for my tank? Should I over size since I am running a canister filter?

Get a skimmer rated for larger than your system. And then ditch the canister filter.

And I wouldn't do an engineer goby in that tank. They get huge.

Yes. Your rock, sand, and skimmer (and water changes) will be adequate.

Get one rated for a little bigger than you plan on your system being. Are you going to have a sump?

Back