Need SPS help/info

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I just got my first one. Well two. I got two orange caps at the swap meet and I know nothing about them. Will they do good in a tank mainly full of softy's? Were in the tank should they be located? Never thought I would try SPS because I like the look and movement of softy's better, but the price was right. At free I couldn't pass up.LOL

uh with a tank of softies idk, softies will can wage chemical warfare that will stunt the growth and possibly kill them. You may be ok though

You should start them out low and move them up slowly so they don't bleach.

Well I was afraid to put them anywere.LOL So they have been on the powerhead near the top, but all the way to the right so they weren't in direct light. I have just moved one though. I moved it and glued it to a rock about in the center of the tank. The guy told me they are a hardier SPS and that if I can't keep this then I need to give up on SPS.LOL I didn't know if I'm over worrying or not. I do weekly water changes of 10 to 20 % and my trates are never over 5. I'm just worried my softy can hurt, and hoping for some reasurance.

And its a cheap 14K ebay bulb so par probably isn't real high.. I couldn't stand the look of the xm10k.LOL

Montis are the easiest and fastest growing SPS. They should be fine in the top of your tank, but like others have said, softies are detrimental to SPS. Running carbon will help take out toxins that the softies produce.

I think the softies will be your only problem with the montis.Like Biff said,just run some carbon fairly regular and even that shouldnt be a big problem.

Ok I'll give it try. Actually right after reading biffs reply I added carbon, then got on here.LOL Thanks for the info.

I agree with the rest.Monti caps are super easy,grow fast for an SPS coral and does well with moderate light and high chaotic flow.

Try not to move corals around, especially the softies right now as they will release their bath of chemicals. Hopefully you picked a spot with at least three or four inches in all directions between the SPS and any softies. Unless the SPS were being kept under poor lighting for some length of time before you got them your 150-175 watt halide should provide fine lighting without acclimation with the coral placed anywhere within about 18 inches of the waters surface, if the bulb is at least 3 to 5 inches or more above the water.

As far as placement, I noticed with my orange caps that if I place them high in the tank and directly under the MH, the color tends to fade. They are brightest, deepest orange for me when they are lower in the tank.

Great. Thanks for all the help. I'll try not so move anymore softy's. I wish I would have known that sooner because last night I fraged a red shroom and cut it into four, however, I placed it in a clear tupperware container and put a lid on. Once they attach I will dump the old water out and put them in the tank.

BTW here are a few pics of them.
AAA111001.jpg
[/IMG]
AAA111004.jpg
[/IMG]
AAA111003.jpg
[/IMG]

Back