need to setup new Biocube 14 for saltwater

bucfan

Reefing newb
I have a Biocube 14 which I used for freshwater. I decided to dump the gravel and go with live sand to get a better effect but have now decided to go saltwater with coral and fish. I had washed the live sand in prep of the freshwater fish and filled the tank with sand and water. Now if I want to do coral do I have to remove all the water and sand or am I ok by just adding salt and live rock? Also what other steps do I need? I guess a protein skimmer is a must.

Also any suggestions for how many and what type of fish will be best suited for this tank? I like a busy tank but don't want to overpopulate. My wife definitely wants a clown fish or two in there.

I have a biocube. I took the bioballs out. Put a cheapo skimmer and 150 watt heater in chamber 1. Chamber 2 is filled with chaeto (beneficial nitrate eating algae). I scraped the paint of the back of chamber 2 and put 2 strong plant lights close to the glass. I I left the top and bottom grates in place. On top of the lower grate I have a bag of carbon. I upgraded the pump in chamber 3 to a Rio 6hf. I used loc-lines to to setup two outputs into the tank one with a rotating spout. A Koralia-1 blows water under the rock. I do all this to improve flow and get nitrates down. With marine tanks you'll need more flow than you had with a fresh water tank. Nitrates are more of an issue with marine tanks also.

Livingreefs is my favorite site for getting questions answered but for questions about mod'ing biocubes, the all-in-1 forum on nano-reef.com has a massive amount of info.

I'm not sure about reusing the live sand that was once used in a freshwater setup. Someone else on here will give you the right answer to that questions. I also have a 14g BC that is set up as a reef tank. Make sure you get yourself a good test kit so you can stay on top of your water params.

You'll need to get at least 1lbs of live rock per gallon of water. If you can get closer to 1.5/2lbs it's much better for your filtration. A protein skimmer would be a good idea as well. You'll need to get an additional powerhead or 2 in that tank to help out with water flow. Make sure you give the tank ample time to cycle and don't rush things. In a 14g tank you don't have much room for error and things can go wrong quickly....just need to stay on top of things. Regular weekly water changes will do you good as well. I would only have 1 fish in that tank, maybe 2 at the max. A clown will work, six-line wrasse, gobies, damsel, chromis are all good fish to keep. Stay away from SPS corals as you don't have enough light to support them. Soft corals, LPS and shrooms will be fine for your tank. I'd also stay away from anemone's.

Hope I helped to answer some of your questions. Good luck and welcome to the hoby. Remember to ask lots of question on this forum and you'll learn a lot. There are tons of good people on here with a wealth of knowledge and are eager to help out a fellow reefer.

I'm not sure about reusing the live sand that was once used in a freshwater setup. Someone else on here will give you the right answer to that questions. I also have a 14g BC that is set up as a reef tank. Make sure you get yourself a good test kit so you can stay on top of your water params.

You'll need to get at least 1lbs of live rock per gallon of water. If you can get closer to 1.5/2lbs it's much better for your filtration. A protein skimmer would be a good idea as well. You'll need to get an additional powerhead or 2 in that tank to help out with water flow. Make sure you give the tank ample time to cycle and don't rush things. In a 14g tank you don't have much room for error and things can go wrong quickly....just need to stay on top of things. Regular weekly water changes will do you good as well. I would only have 1 fish in that tank, maybe 2 at the max. A clown will work, six-line wrasse, gobies, damsel, chromis are all good fish to keep. Stay away from SPS corals as you don't have enough light to support them. Soft corals, LPS and shrooms will be fine for your tank. I'd also stay away from anemone's.

Hope I helped to answer some of your questions. Good luck and welcome to the hoby. Remember to ask lots of question on this forum and you'll learn a lot. There are tons of good people on here with a wealth of knowledge and are eager to help out a fellow reefer.

1+ I upgraded to a 150watt Sunpod before I got into corals. NanoTuners.com sells a BC hood upgrade but it is pricey and will probably cause heat issues.

I guess a protein skimmer is a must.

I say no it`s not a must in that size tank. Frequent PWC`s will accomplish the same thing in a smaller tank as well as adding trace elements to your tank. I always suggest you dont need a skimmer in anything less than a thirty gallon tank. PWC`s all the way in a small tank.

I second the suggestion to skip getting a skimmer and instead do more water changes. I responded to your other thread.

Please don't post duplicate threads, thanks :)

Back