Neon Green Algae

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So now my tank is now getting a lot of bright neon green algae. Not hairy or anything, more like the rocks are just changing color. Is this just a stage after the initial cycling of the tank or is this something I should be worried about? I'm out of town right now buy my brother is stopping by the house to check on the tank and even he noticed it. I was noticing a few days ago but wasn't sure if it was just me or not. I guess not, haha.

Last edited:
its most likely coraline algae (good). Coraline comes in many different colors and green is one of them. I had the same neon green the first few months.

Its normal for that stuff to cover the rocks for a while.And like Game said,it could be the start of coralline.

Part of the stage to your system maturing.It's just some kind of green algae that coats the rocks,most noticeable on bare areas of the rocks.You will see less and less as the system matures being replace by good stuff(coralline),hopefully.Don't be surprise if there are more bad algae to come.

Reef, so you are saying that my hair algae may just go away eventually and I won't have to spend 3 hrs plucking it out with my fingers? Cuz I may do a song and a dance or a whole musical if that happened.

D2 was talking about the neon algae coating the rocks Alto.Hair algae is whole different ballgame.Get some snails(that live).

hmm dunno if I ever had neon green algae, but I do realize that this hair algae really keeps my rocks in the dark more and doesn't let the coraline grow as much because of it.

hmm dunno if I ever had neon green algae, but I do realize that this hair algae really keeps my rocks in the dark more and doesn't let the coraline grow as much because of it.

Have you tried less light? The combo of more water changes and less light really worked getting rid of hair algae for me, in fact within just days of keeping lights on for a few hours a day only.

it doesnt matter, your corals will be ok for a few days with less lights on. Try cutting the hours in half for about 3-4 days and see if that helps. I recommend increasing water changes for these few days as well. I'm pretty sure you will start to see results.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm back in town and it looks like the neon green color has slowed down and probably even reversed. I'm also now starting to get some purple corraline on my overflow and back glass. :)

Back