New 150 cornerflo

newreefinsc

Reefing newb
I know one day I will upgrade my tank, and I have been thinking 200 or better, but I saw the coolest tank this weekend. It was a 150, I believe it was 48x30x27 or something like that. Pretty deep and tall, it would allow for some cool rock formations. My only drawback is all of the new equipment I will have to buy. I'm sure I will need MH lights because it is so deep, and I will have to get someone to help me set up the sump (I've only had experience with hangon), but I am in love with this tank! It would fit right where my 55 sits. I love my 55, and it has really settled in nicely, but that 150 sure looks nice. I know some of you guys have set up deep tanks. How has that experience been? I'm beginning to think I liked the set-up as much as watching an established tank. If I could get a 150 to look like my 55, I would be in heaven.

The tall tank is a set back. Since it is a tall tank some of the fish you would be able to put in a 150 wouldnt be able to go into a tall because they swim across and not up and down. Also you would have to have some amazing lights to reach all the way to the bottom of the tank.
It would be a nice upgrade though!
Also if you do everything right it could be a an amazing system.

Last edited:
Those deep dimension 150s are really really cool. In fact RyanG and I were just talking about those last night! I would really like a tank that has that much depth. Its just such a cool look compared to the standard rectangles we have. Ýou would definitely need to change your lights and get something that gives you a nice even spread front to back. Sump and overflow is really easy once you figure it all out. There are a lot of options for what you can do. Too bad its as wide as your 55 or you could use that as your sump.

Best of luck on that, that would be rad if you ended upgetting that.

I think you could do it with a couple of 400 watt halides.You'd just to have pay close attention to where you placed your corals.

Those deep dimension 150s are really really cool. In fact RyanG and I were just talking about those last night!
my LFS has a tank for sale that i believe is 48x48x24 awesome looking tank. and since the tank is only 27 inches deep, the sand will bring the depth to roughly 24-25 inches you could get away with 250 watt MH

Yeah, I'm really thinking about doing it. It was a beautiful tank. I'm just trying to decide, and thinking about how I will transfer the rock and inhabitants. I was thinking I would need a couple of 450 MH lights. I have a 4 strip T-5 right now, but I have been looking at the MH/actinic combos. If I buy the tank new, it is $1250 including the sump and stand. Lights look to be $600-800, and I will need about 120lbs base rock to add to my 80lbs live. Then of course, the sump pump, skimmer, etc... I will have to get my LFS owner to help me set it up. Just off the top of my head, it's looking like $3000-4000. I could get a little for my current setup, but that's a lot to swallow all at 1 time.

Back