New 150

AdamC

Reefing newb
So I've had a 75 for a year or 2 now and upgraded to a 150 and its been awhile.
I put in 200 lbs of live sand. I poured in sand Thursday night and its still cloudy as hell. I even put the packets of clearing up water. I thought it would clear up quickly. I haven't been running anything on it until tonight when I put a small filter and power head to get some movement. How much longer before it clears? I need to migrate my other tank over quickly as I need to be move out quickly of my other place. I'm concerned that when I place rocks and its going to stir it up more and take forever to clear the sand dust.

wow that's a long time for it to be cloudy...maybe use a little carbon to see if that helps, best way to get the water clear IMO

It could take up to a week to totally clear up, maybe longer ... But, you really should have put the rocks in the tank before the sand. The rocks should always be placed directly on the bottom glass to avoid sand shifting and toppling the rock structure.

Also, the water doesn't have to be totally clear before transferring things, the cloudy water shouldn't affect your fish.

Okay cool. I guess I could have moved most rocks. I have never set my previous tanks up like that before but I can see the point in doing that.

My fear is moving everything and I was going to keep the water out of my old tank to put in my new tank. I'm just scared moving from a 75 gallon to a 150 so fast with fish and coral. Ill probably run coral in the old tank and water for a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions?

If you have an old FW filter or something laying around, hook it up with some carbon for a few days and it will polish that water right up. Then you can just disconnect it when it's done its job. :-)

i dont like running carbon in the tank to long, i try less than 4 days a month. i love tangs and they are known to get hole in head linked to carbon use

That's been theorized to be a contributing cause but there's no actual evidence of it. It's also only been an issue with the cheaper carbons.

Yeah after waking up this morning I saw a noticeable difference with the filter and power head running.
I run a HOB filter just for carbon and never had an issue with my one tang.

Any advice on moving a 75 gallon tank to a 150?

Back