New 20g Tank

ralex

Reefing newb
So, I'm thinking of setting up a 20g tank and I'm looking for some suggestions. I was thinking in something like a clownfish but don't really know about it, so if anyone has any suggestion feel free to drop it out :)

BTW, I have a 75g Protein Skimmer, a 1200gph Pump, a 10g Sump, some CoraLife T5 HO 48" fixture and I don't know if I could use any of these on my 20g tank. So, I'll appreciate any help :)

Thanks!

Clownfish are pretty hardy. Usually the bigger of clowns becomes a female if you add a pair. Don't mix clown species together as to they can become aggressive to eachother.

You could always sell the 48 and go with a light that fits your tank properly. Usually I hear that a skimmer should be rated twice the size of your tank but I think yours might be fine. Not sure about the pumps though. I'm not too familiar with how many gph you need for x sized aquarium.

I think you could use the skimmer and sump, but the lights and pump sound a little big! Keep them for the upgrade!

Also a clown fish is a great choice! Here is a link to a whole bunch of other fish that would do great in that sized tank:

Nano Fish

That 1200gph return pump is too much for a 20g...It'll blow the water into the next state.:D You're generally looking for 5-10x the the tank size for a return pump...so in your case 200-300 gph would be fine accounting for "headloss"...which is decreased flow because it's going against gravity.

oh, and just wondering, will i need a sump? i'm not thinking about corals, as Puerto Rico is kinda hot place. If I want something cool, i'll go with an anemone, but nothing else besides that. Couples of rock and some fishes. Would be cool a lot of small fishes swimming together and an ocellaris as the boss :D how does that sounds?

Actually, I had a 55g tank with a Yellow Tang, Percula, 2 Blue Tangs and some other fishes but i kinda got bored cause my tank wasn't well stablished and sold the tank, but now I'm really on to it on my 20g tank :)

Just fyi, an anemone shouldn't be added to your tank until it has been up and running for at least a year.

Also a basic rule of thumb for salt water is 1 fish for every ten gallons, which would limit you to two small fish.

You don't want to put tangs in a 55 gallon as well. They need plenty of swimming space. A sump isn't required but it's great to conceal equipment and to add some water volume to the tank which helps to have extra if parameters get out of hand.

You'll want to wait til you have an established setup before putting an anenome in. Some people suggest an entire year.

If you don't have any Air Conditioning at your place, then you might have to invest in a chiller due to the hot weather.

Good luck!

I would keep the sump. All inverts are far more sensitive to poor water quality than fish (nems being the most sensitive of all), and the larger the water volume to more stable and better your water quality can be.

Normally the temperature is around the 80's. Highest I've seen was 85. But maybe I'll go with FOWLR :) What could be good for a 20g FOWLR tank?

You could go with a clown/goby combo if you'd like! Maybe a pair of clowns and that's it.

Check out the nano fish website that little_fish gave you. Just to give you an idea.

do those goby swim or do thy just lay on the sand bottom? I've seen a couple just standing on the bottom doing nothing :P

Back