New 55-gal (with pics!)

Hi everyone! I have posted a few questions on this site and gotten helpful advice:mrgreen:. Figured its time to post a few pics. I set up my 55 gallon 3 months ago. I had freshwater fish growing up and had a 40 gallon saltwater tank for a few years as a teenager but had to give it up when I moved. But I knew so little back then I don't count it as much experience. Anyway, I am happy to be back in the hobby. A few months with my 55gal and I'm already thinking about something bigger, lol.

I started with some dry rock (maybe a third of it) and gradually added live rock. Some of it I got from a LFS that had rock that a customer brought in when they had to get rid of their tank, so it already has the coraline algae on it. One of the rocks had a little green hair algae which has now taken over the rock. I just put a blenny in there and hoping he'll take care of it. I also have three chromis and a royal gramma. I want to add a pair of black and white clowns and that will be it for fish. For inverts I have a peppermint shrimp, a turbo, and 4 tongan nassarius (soon to be 10, thanks for the advice Little Fish). I just added a mushroom coral and two zoa frags. I think they seem happy, but let me know if you have advice on placement. I have one HO T5 light that has 2 x 56w, and a regular T5 with 2 x 26w.

I think I'm doing okay so far, nothing has died in my care yet and my water parameters are right on. I test PH, alk, nitrate, and phosphate weekly. I change about 8 gallons every two weeks. The only things I know I'm doing wrong are: no sump, because of poor planning I have no room for it (wish I would've researched more beforehand), and using a fluval 405 cannister (I clean it really well every water change). I do have room to add a hang-on-back refugium of probably 4 gallons, let me know if you have opinions on that. I have the backpak 2 skimmer which seems to be working well.

Thanks for reading...here are the pictures:D

FTS:
aquarium007.jpg

Starry Blenny resting on his huge food supply:
aquarium008.jpg

Mushroom coral (LFS guy calls it "fuzzy mushroom"):
aquarium005.jpg

Zoas:
aquarium003.jpg

aquarium004.jpg

Side view:
aquarium002.jpg

Looks good! But not having a sump isnt a huge issue, its just a nice bonus. Also starry blennies arent known for eating algae, for that you want a lawnmower blenny. But you can only have one blenny per tank. You might want to trim down the algae, if the starry you have is tempted to eat algae, he will be more likely to do so if its short.

Looks good! But not having a sump isnt a huge issue, its just a nice bonus. Also starry blennies arent known for eating algae, for that you want a lawnmower blenny. But you can only have one blenny per tank. You might want to trim down the algae, if the starry you have is tempted to eat algae, he will be more likely to do so if its short.

I thought they were supposed to be just as good with algae as the lawnmower. He has been nibbling on it and he eats algae off the glass, but maybe that hair algae too long for him, it's taller than he is, lol. I will scrub it off and see if he eats what grows back. I love this fish, he's such a character. In the QT he'd eat right from my fingers and swam up to the front whenever anyone came up to look at him. It looks like he's wagging his tail :)

Ya, i love the starry blennies too! I have one in my tank, his name is Mr. Owbries

Also, im going to move this to the tank showcase forum

I got a new coral last weekend. Frogspawn. It looked a lot more full at the LFS. I hope it's still adjusting. I have it on the bottom, so if it doesn't look better soon I guess I'll move it higher.
aquarium030.jpg

My fuzzy mushroom was fading and looking weird for a few weeks so I held off on getting more corals because of that. Now it's doing much better and my zoas are still looking great.

aquarium031.jpg

I've also had some hair algae that was getting me down, but I think it's stopped its spread now, there are still a few patches. I also have the bubble algae. I guess without algae to keep us busy this reefkeeping hobby would be too easy ;) I started using Phosban in my fluval so I think that's helping. My fish are doing great, I added the black and white clowns in last week and everyone is getting along so well and swimming in one big school, its really funny. Even Frodo (starry blenny) swims more now, it seems he likes the clownfish for some reason. Now I'm fully stocked.

Here's a pic of my 20 gal that used to be the QT. (don't know what I'm going to do if I need the QT again, but oh well). I got a firefish after I moved the clowns out and I just love this fish. Really pretty. I will also add a bengai cardinal when my LFS gets some.

aquarium034.jpg

Back