New 56

swninja

Reefing newb
So I started this a little bit ago. Meant to upload sooner. It's a 56 tall, 24Tx30Wx18D. Going to do a reef tank. Also going to try something different. No skimmer. My last tank was a 50, and once it was up and running i couldn't get the skimmer to pull anything. So this time I'm going to attempt a skimmerless tank, with no sump, just a hang on back refugium. Feel free to call me an idiot for trying this, but I've got a lot of free time right now to watch water parameters, so I decided to try something different. Oh yeah, and a buddy of mine from work told me I couldn't do it, so it's kind of a challenge too. (I'm a guy, what do you expect)

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 242
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 266
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 264
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 242
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 258
and some more

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 253
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 260
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 256
  • photo9.jpg
    photo9.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 287
Looks like you are off to a great start. And you can run a tank without a skimmer, just keep up on those water changes and dont go crazy stocking fish. I ran my 46 for almost a year without any additional filtration. I do have to admit, it is easier with a skimmer though.

Your nem there looks to be in pretty rough shape, i would keep an eye on him.

Good luck, looks like a great start.

My tank is small enough that I wouldn't mind running it without a skimmer....but then when I empty the collection cup once a week I look at the dark green sludge it's pulling out of the water and I just can't justify not running it. Having that in the water would be awful.
I got mine for $40, though....so idc! haha

Your setup is looking good. Is it still cycling or finished?

Oops. The nem was only a few days old in that pic. But hes been acting right from everything ive read. Not really eating, but ive heard that some wont eat very often, so im not real worried bout him yet.
It had finished cycling, and then i put some more rock in. Got a little algae going on right now. But all the numbers look pretty good nitrates and phosphates both at zero

After my 90 had been set up for a while, I took my skimmer off line. I had a big refugium, and the fuge seemed to handle everything just fine. So it can be done, especially if you have a nice fuge. :)

Its not a huge fuge, but ive got dsb, prolly 10lbs of live rock, chaeto, halimeda, shaving brush, and mangroves. Its also on an alternating light cycle from the display. I spiked it with some of the biggest copepods ive seen, amphipods, and some tigger pods. The fuge is crawling with pods. Havent really seen many in the display, but the sixline is in a constant state of picking at the rocks. Pretty sure hes doing some damage on the population

And im an idiot. Im sitting here watching the powerheads alternating the flow in the tank, wondering why i've got algae on the sand. Duh, ive only got half the flow i wanted because there are only 2 powerheads on at a time. Feeling mighty dumb right now.

Back