New 90 gallon set up

Pilot84

Reefing newb
I will be starting a 90 gallon tank with rock and fish only (no corals). I was thinking about doing a hob filter... Thinking 2 aquaclears 110s with a good power head. Looking for input, advice and opinions on that setup.

Would you ever go reef? Do you have the room for a sump? Hooking up some overflow and having a sump is what I would do.
Those filter are more for freshwater. And are pretty expensive just to throw them away when you change your mind.

Last edited:
I have been doing some research on protein skimmers. If I just got a protein skimmer, reef octopus bh1000 for example, would that work instead of the hob filters? Would I need anything else, for example, power heads or any other filtration system?

Yeah, you're going to want some powerheads in there even if you don't have corals. I'd aim to put 3 powerheads for at least 2700gph total (that is 30x turnover of your tank volume). Powerheads oxygenate the water and help keep flow in the tank so that detritious doesn't accumulate in your rocks and lead to algae outbreaks. The more flow the better - I have about 5850 gph in my 90g tank (5 powerheads of various ratings plus a return pump from my sump). A HOB skimmer is a good option if you don't want to run a sump, but I'd do something stronger than the one you listed above. I think a good rule of thumb is to buy a skimmer that is rated for twice your tank volume (so I'd look to buy a skimmer that is rated for a 150g - 200g tank). Reef Octopus is a great brand and is what I would recommend.

Back