new and confused by research

aluco

Reefing newb
what is up well in this 40 gallon that has been going for about six months i would like to in the future some time try corals but am confusing myself with researching lighting and things online. also, i have heard toby puffers can very well eat coral and was looking for more insight on that as i have one of them. a friend of mine though recently bought a toby puffer and placed him in with corals he seems to be more concerned about his inverts but i am waiting to hear how that goes heh

aluco

The puffer won't eat corals, but it will eat inverts like shrimp and crabs.

What kind of lighting you get will depend on your budget. Your choices are T5s, metal halide or LEDs. All vary in price, but will allow you to keep corals.

thanks yea i dont have any inverts but i do get to watch the toby munch on hermits every week to keep his beak worn down.. so i have a hood with fluorescent bulbs which makes me think the T5's would be easiest to use am i correct in thinking this? i did read on here a page about the different light choices and i cant afford any fancy LED's. ive seen LED lights at petsmart for about 80 bucks but i doubt they are efficient.. the tank is in need of some color though.. im really not in the business here of killing things though so i do want to be careful in moving forward with a reef

You can't use your existing hood if you want to upgrade lights -- the hood is only made for the bulbs it comes with. You would need to buy a whole T5 fixture. What is the length of your tank?

You are correct in assuming the LEDs at petsmart are not a good choice for a reef tank.

The hood with your tank runs T8 bulbs, you cannot just put t5 bulbs in that fixture, they are a different size

Ok. Since you are still at the starting point (It is great that you are asking questions now, rather than AFTER buying stuff :) so you get points for that. )

First things first, what would YOU want to do? in order to cut through the confusion you will need first to establish what vision you have for your tank.
Do you want a full SPS type reef tank? or do you want a mixed type tank what has an assortment of corals and fish?
This will allow the folks here to help you determine the best combination of critters you can put in your tank and also suggest the appropriate equipment.

For this first exercise, dream big! think of your dream tank and lets work our way down from there.

heh well i am already pretty full as far as fish are concerned. i wouldnt mind returning the damsel and maybe the clown for a dwarf angel. but ill share my vision when i first started. i was wanting a dragonette, a potters angel, a skunk clown, and a sea horse. i know sea horses are slow swimmers and could starve so i moved off that. i learned the dragonette eats lots of pods that a 40 gallon tank prolly cant provide so i moved off that. and i fell in love with a toby puffer at the store so i went that direction.
i havent been sure how the puffer would treat corals so i have been hesitant to begin a reef tank but if it indeed is safe enough for at least some types of corals im down to try. as long as the puffer will leave the coral alone i would be more than excited to try a real reef type tank. im a person who grew up in admiration of the monterey bay aquarium as i have visited often growing up. at the same time i understand my tank limitations and am not going to cram a tang into a smaller tank. i just want a pretty reef like tank i can be proud of.
ideally i want a pro like tank with a uv skimmer and a canister filter and an air flow system that i can establish without an air stone if possible. id like a lighting system that can grow coral and keep the tank looking vibrant and colorful. right now its full of about 30 lbs of live rock and sand, very plain. the problem is i know what could add character and color yet i know these things need to be done right so i ask questions.
my friend told me to check for deals on craigslist i would like a better idea though of what i should look for.

In my opinion, pro tanks do not use UVs, canister filters or air flow systems. Pro tanks use a sump, skimmer and refugium.

I'd say to go with some T5s and start adding some easy corals for some color. As long as you have good lighting and good water parameters, you can start adding corals.

In my opinion, pro tanks do not use UVs, canister filters or air flow systems. Pro tanks use a sump, skimmer and refugium.

This +1

Also, I hate to burst your stocking bubble, but I would not put a Potter's Angel in a 40 gallon tank. They need LOTS of rock work to both forage off of and duck in and out of. I understand why you like them though, I lost mine about a week ago after two years :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back