new anemone

jase

Reefing newb
hey guys i just picked up this new anemone and would like to know what kind it is

IMAG0552a.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

also he's moved himself to the back of the tank out of view which is making it hard to feed, would increasing flow around the back of the tank persuade him to move to a more accessable position?

Going by the fact it has a red foot, it's probably a magnificent anemone (Heteractis magnifica).
HetMagnifica
"So, do you have an established system of a few to several hundred plus gallons (three feet across in all dimensions minimum), with plenty, and I mean PLENTY of lighting and water movement? The patience, nerve to risk this Anemone coming loose, moving about, stinging your other "Corals" (and other cnidarian life), as well as possibly your fishes? Maybe another Actinarian species is a better match... My best advice, request is that you leave the Magnificent Anemones in the tropical seas where they belong."

hmm could be a magnificent anemone though it's not searching for high flow areas or high lighted areas, i first put it into a medium flow and medium light area but it moved into a low light and low flow area i.e back of the tank (it might be still accumulating to the new tank)

Everyone here wants you to suceed. No one thinks it's a good idea to keep this thing in your tank. Why kill something and endanger your tank? Doesn't sound worth it to me. So, I think we're trying to say; return it, return it, return it. Researching stuff before you buy will always save you from disaster. Plus, it's just fun to do, who doesn't like to google?

I'm siding with Larry. He is about the most knowledgeable and well informed person I have met in this hobby.

Besides the fact, how can you buy a creature without asking what it is, and researching it to make sure it is compatible with your current tank inhabitants? :grumble:

I did ask about it when I brought it but the guy at the lfs told me it was a rose bta, I rang the store and they won't refund it. I'll have a talk to a aquarium near me and see if they'll take it

I did ask about it when I brought it but the guy at the lfs told me it was a rose bta, I rang the store and they won't refund it. I'll have a talk to a aquarium near me and see if they'll take it

No offense so PLEASE dont take it the wrong way, but if you had researched what you were going to buy, when that guy told you that was a RBTA you could have told him he was full of $hit.

Research what you buy THEN put it in your tank. Some things its not a big deal, nems are not one of them. They move, they are picky, and one of the only things I can think of (with my limited working knowledge) that can annihilate your entire tank upon their death.

And if I were you I would look at your receipt and see what they sold you. If they say its a RBTA call the manager and tell them whats up.

Back