new aquarium cycling help

mario_sa05

Reefing newb
Hi everyone...well I'm setting up my aquarium and its cyclings now...yesterday I added the live sand and declorinated water and added salt but I still haven't calibrated it up to 1.022 I'm takin my time on that..any suggestions...also this morning I woke up to find my glass covered by a white film like a fog I scraped it off idk if it was from when I added the salted water also the figji rock has some white spots I'm guessin its undissolved salt...anything you guys would do diffrent or experiences this...thanks guys

Hi... If you added the live rock and live sand, then freshwater (without salt), you effectively killed your live rock and live sand. Live rock and sand must be kept at the proper salinity to stay alive.

If you don't have any animals in the tank, there's no reason to take your time getting the salinity correct. The white residue is normal -- it's just dust from the sand and salt.

The water was dechlorinated and had sea salt mixture...there was salt when I added the water...but it wasn't calibrated to its proper...a bit low...do you think that would have still affected the rock and sand?

If you are keeping a reef tank, try and bring your salinity to about 1.025 during your cycle, and make sure it is up to temperature because that will give you a better salt reading.

other than that, just keep checking your parameters and wait for the time to put life in your tank.

Back