New aquarium

MrBone

Reefing newb
Hi all...was just looking for a bit of feedback on my experience to Date my new aquarium?
The set up has been running now at temp & salinity for 9 days with 3" live aragonite sand
Bed.
All tests so far seem to be good.

10kg Live rock has been in for 7 days & I have algae on the tank glass with what look like loads of pods all over the glass? From what I have read these are a good sign?
Have spotted lots of hitch hikers appearing from live rock. Feather dusters, some kind of
Tiny snail (cone shaped green shell with black spots on it?)

So far so good I think?

Sounds good to me! Get some pictures up bud!
And also, are you thinking of adding more rock? If I were you I would get 5kg dry rock or something, just to bring it up to a good number.

Pods are good, but the snail could be good or bad. There are some predator snails out there that are cone shaped. Can you post a picture of the snail?

When you say this... What do you mean?

Ammonia Test Kit - API

I meant that obviously been in the early days & tank is still becoming established but the parameters so far seem to be acceptable. RE: PH,kH etc.
I have been using a tetra marine 5 in 1 kit so far? Am I correct in my understanding that this kit is not able to give an amonia reading?
I will have to pick up an amonia test kit ASAP

The basic test kits you will need are:

pH
alkalinity (KH)
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

Be sure you are using test kits for saltwater, not freshwater. They will give you different results.

Ok, thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated.

I managed to get myself a Salifert Amonia test on the way home from work.
After testing the reading is showing <0.25

Back