new at marine and reef aqurist

algy1943

Reefing newb
:question:Hi Guys I have just joined Living Reefs, have filled my 250L aquarium on 27/03/2010, have inserted 100kg of live rock, the rock came from an established aquarium and had several hermit crabs and dozens on snails.

I have taken water tests for all the conditions and have all been as the should be, bought 2 small frags of "waving hand coral" and they seen ok so far,Question is it to early to put my 1yr old clown fish (2) 3 damsels (2 Humbug and one blue) they have all lived together in a nano tank but the humbugs are very spiteful Into my new tank???

Thanks Algy1943

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. If your tank has gone through the initial cycle and all your levels are good, then I would say go ahead and add them. If the inverts and corals are doing fine, then the fish should be ok also. Good luck.

I recently started a tank kinda like you have. I got all the rock and also about half of the tanks water to start up my tank. I did not have a cycle. I checked this by checking for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I fed the fish I got from the lady and never got any ammonia or nitrites but did get nitrate increase. Your just gonna have to test to see if it cycles. Add some food for a few days and see if you get ammonia or nitrites. If not then sure you prolly won't get a cycle.

:question:Hi Guys I have just joined Living Reefs, have filled my 250L aquarium on 27/03/2010, have inserted 100kg of live rock, the rock came from an established aquarium and had several hermit crabs and dozens on snails.

I have taken water tests for all the conditions and have all been as the should be, bought 2 small frags of "waving hand coral" and they seen ok so far,Question is it to early to put my 1yr old clown fish (2) 3 damsels (2 Humbug and one blue) they have all lived together in a nano tank but the humbugs are very spiteful Into my new tank???

Thanks Algy1943
I have now put the fish into the tank also a yellow tang and a six striped wrasse, there is no aggression at all they are all swimming about much happier than in the small tank, can't get the Tang to eat the lettuce leaves

Hi guys I think I may have done something silly and disasterous, I bought 10 Anenome's from ebay, they are all alive and have settled in but reading what the experts say iv'e made a mistake, they are all eating and have made their homes on live rock, any advice please

Algy:bowdown:

Hi guys I think I may have done something silly and disasterous, I bought 10 Anenome's from ebay, they are all alive and have settled in but reading what the experts say iv'e made a mistake, they are all eating and have made their homes on live rock, any advice please

Wow...you actually acknowledge a possible faux pas. Congrats on being big enough to admit you might have made a mistake. Many won't. Lots of experts here, I'm sure they'll chime in. I'm fowlr, so no experience with corals :)

You might want to post questions in the other sections so more people see them. Welcome to the site!

Wow...you actually acknowledge a possible faux pas. Congrats on being big enough to admit you might have made a mistake. Many won't. Lots of experts here, I'm sure they'll chime in. I'm fowlr, so no experience with corals :)

You might want to post questions in the other sections so more people see them. Welcome to the site!
Where and how?
algy1943

Originally Posted by algy1943

No I have set it up as a reef tank, with 100kg live rock, several corals, 2 clown fish, 2 humbugs, 1 blue Damsal, 1 yellow Tang, 1- 6 stripe Wrasse, the anemone's were on e-bay 10 for £8 plus £5:50 postage, they arrived at 07:45 am this morning, all alive, put the on the live rock fed them mysis shrinp and they seem quite at home. Tank has only been running for 1 week

algy1943

I would watch your parameters. Adding that much livestock even in a cycled tank is not good. At best, you should have only added 1-2 fish every 3 weeks. Do you have a test kit? You should get a dropper test kit like API (not test strips). You need to test your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates everyday to monitor.

You'll probably have to do a lot of water changes as well, your almost guaranteed to go through a cycle after adding all of those things.

Last edited:
What kind of anemones are they? Post a picture. They actually sound like pest anemones as any of the reef tank anemones would have cost ten times as much. There are people online that sell pest anemones just to rip people off.

Also, you are stocking your tank way too fast. It shouldn't have that many fish in it already. Watch out.

Back