New Blenny

BL1

Well, my LFS was having a big sale this weekend so I thought I should go and pick up a replacement for my original blenny. So I picked up this cute little guy.
DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

Thanks Biff, I couldn't pass up that cute little guy for $8. Hopefully he stays fat, I just found out my last one has cyanide poisoning.

from day one, he was just really unhealthily skinny. When I got him I had a HUGE outbreak of hair algae and he ate all of it, and he was always eating 24/7 and never put on weight. Then, the last two months my LFS was taking care of my tank and he said he saw the same thing, the fish was constantly eating and always looked sickly. Until he passed away. From what my LFS said and what I've read, digestive problems like not being able to process all of that food is a side effect to cyanide.

Cyanide poisoning is extremely uncommon in this hobby, and is only believed to still occur in a couple of places in the Pacific. I doubt it was that. Plus, another side effect of cyanide poisoning is very pronounced coloring in fish. They almost look painted. Did you notice vivid colors?

A more common cause of not being able to process food in fish is an internal parasite, which is very common.

I would put money on the parasite vs. the cyanide poisoning. A treatment with PraziPro would have taken care of internal parasites.

Cool that will work.

damn my work computer!!!!!!!!!!!its freakin out and I deleted my post and thanked you all at the same time.

He's cute, BL1 :D I just got one myself a few weeks ago. He started munching on my foxface's algae sheets and stopped eating my hair algae, so I stopped putting sheets in the tank. So the foxface and blenny eat my hair algae now. Once in a while I toss in a small sheet for them as a treat.

Love the blenny :) got one myself, they do have great personality, its fun to see them perch and watch over the tank!

I know, when I picked him out, he was hiding in the powerhead at my LFS, now he likes to hang out behind mine.

So, I guess I should have done this earlier but, I was reading up on these guys and read that they nip at SPS. Should I be worried since I just started adding SPS into my tank? Has anyone else had then nipping at their SPS?

Nice blenny.

Pretty much my favorite type of fish. I've got a bi-colour blenny and it's got more personality than the rest of my fish. Just wish it would actually eat the hair algae and stop biting me.

Back