New buddies!

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I finally picked up my first fish for my 10 gallon nano! Also got a couple of snails to start off with.

Nice li'l orange spotted goby (actually I think it's an orange marked...I'll have to look at him again once I'm done acclimating him...which in that case, I might have to put him in the larger 45 gallon! What do you think?). He actually came paired with a yellow shrimp. They didn't want to split them, since they were already paired well. Plus I ended up buying the small piece of live rock they were hiding under because the fish crammed himself in the crevices when they tried to take him out. The rock also came with a small mushroom :) I hope it'll be ok until I get some better lighting! I'm using an el cheapo 15 watt flourescent right now that came w/ the tank. Planning on getting better lights for it.

I'll post pics once I've finished acclimating them.

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

That bugger's quick...and I thought my clowns were hard to catch on film!!!

Ok....after many failed attempts (thank god for digital cameras and large memory sticks!!)....

Here's a shot of him in the tub I brought him home in, being acclimated (hence the ripple and distorted image). He's on the top right, just right of that red thing:

DSC01252Custom.jpg

I managed to get one of him from the side...he's to the left of the rocks. Had to sneak!

DSC01280Custom.jpg

Here's his hidey hole that the yellow shrimp made (it was fun watching that shrimp make it, too! Pretty quick to take care of making themselves at home.). The shrimp made his own hidey hole, too..it's to the left of the goby's.

DSC01265Custom.jpg

I really should make my 45 and 10 gallon builds!

Those little gobies pair up with the pistol shrimp.The shrimp digs the borrow and keeps it clean and in return for sharing,the goby brings food to the shrimp.And there is a type of pistol shrimp thats yellow(cant remember the exact name of it),but their a ball to watch.
They'll make a popping sound sometimes.And at times it can be fairly loud.Kinda like tapping a ring against the glass of the tank.

Hehehe...cool. Yeah, I had a choice to buy the bonded pair, or a lone orange spotted goby. Of course, I preferred the bonded pair. And from what you're saying, this should be interesting!

The 10 gallon is technically my daughter's. I'm doing the major maintenance and stuff, but she gets to test the water and name all the critters (she already named the nassarius "Digger", and the peppermint shrimp in MY tank Mo -- as in, Mo from Wall-e....hehehe....kids.). She's a reefer in the making. She sits and stares at the tank as much as I do!

Anyway, I got the first fish for her today cuz she's got the flu. So pitiful. I figured this would cheer her up.

HEHE
I know exactly what you mean about the kids.I'm all the time wiping my daughters nose prints off the glass.
And its never good when the young uns are sick.And Gracies had a bad month so far.Broke her arm New Years day,then came down with a stomach bug and strep the next week,and now she's got pneumonia.

Oh my!! Sounds like you've got your hands full with your daughter! Sorry to hear about her arm.

At least one of my kids' fever broke yesterday, and hopefully. I caught a better closeup of the goby:

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01286.JPG
DSC01286.JPG

Here's a good one of the mushroom that I got with the lr. Hopefully it will be fine with the el cheapo 15 watt lighting for now. I probably won't get good lighting until a month or so. It was previously in a 5 gallon with a 14 watt flourescent at the lfs.

DSC01297.jpg

Back