New Clownfish

khaotik

Reefing newb
So I got my first fish over a week ago. He seems to be doing fine, but he swims all around the top of the tank. All around the rim. Is this normal for acclimating him. He seems very happy and looks healthy. But he never swims around or under the rocks or even by them. Just stays at the top.

What king of circulation do you have? The tank might not have enough oxygen so he is staying close to the top since there is more oxygen there. Also, clowns will sometimes find a spot they like and stick to it.

I never thought of circultion. I have an Aqueon 30. I only have a 20 gallon. They said the 30 is rated to 300 gph. I also have a hydor nano 240 gallon. Is this enough circulation?

I think so. Dont know this is my first tank. I read that it should be good to filter 10 times the gallons you have and circulate five times the gallons. I was going by that. Maybe I need another hydor on the otherside of tank?

It sounds like it's enough water movement. Is the powerhead placed at the top, near the water's surface? If not, move it up there so that it's creating a ripple in the surface.

Sounds like you have good water movement/oxygenation...clowns are just weird like that, he may just be hosting the rim. :)

Back