new coral

billm

Reefing newb
Having gotten back from my local lfs store, wondering if anyone has a green merulina coral in their tank and has it been doing?It's a very interesting piece, not something you see every day in most lfs. wondering if 45 dollars is too much for it?

Merulina amplicata or Scabricula? Most ofter found in lagoons, but, may be found throughout the reef. tend to be encrusting as small colonies, forming flattened, ruffled leaves as they grow larger. colors can be shades of green, pink, lavender, violet, blue, brown and cream. one colony may show several colors. Merulina swell outward in captivity, much like pectinia. These corals despite being predominantly lagoon based corals tend to decalcify and fail to thrive in may cases. Recession with unknown causes is common, as is bleaching. they loose tissue quickly by necrosis where contact with other corals or sedimenttation occurs. they prefer strong lighting and moderate water flow. they are heavy mucus producers. generally not recommended, however, as a passive coral must be keep seperate from other corals contact and good water flow to keep mucus and sediment from sedeling on the coral. the shape is not indicative of the needs as one coral may show different growth paterns within one colony. hpoe it helps. you did not say if you purchased it. if you did best of luck, if not read on it.

No, i haven't purchased it, wanting to find good info. thank you for your reply.Now, I'm deciding.Doing reseach and thinking...

Back