New corals! Erm...next Thursday...

kbuser92

Breeder
I have questions about a couple things im getting next Thursday...one is a frogspawn and one is a white star polyp. First things first, do I need to feed anything? I dose Essential Elements and Microvert. I do Microvert 2x weekly at 2 drops per gallon for 3 small colonies of zoas, 2 small Cinnamon Paly heads and a little favia. Is there anything else I will need?

Next question is flow and light location. Where should they be placed?

Lastly, fragging. Theres a couple specimens available and if I have my way, both will be perfect, but there is a frogspawn with two heads. Can I just cut on the branch at the bottom where theyre connected? And for the star polyps, is that just like fragging zoas?

Thanks!

Theres also a single branch of a really bright green acro, but I dont think thats a possibility...i currently have a 50/50 15 watt T8 on a 5.5 gallon. Should be okay for softies and lps, but what about sps? What are feeding requirements for acros?

Star polyps and frogspawn do not need to be target fed. As far as SPS go, you could try something like a Monitpora Capricornis (or monti cap for short) or some 'Green Slimer' acropora - as those are easier to keep SPS

For the start polyps and frogspawn, I'd guess medium light medium flow, though if acclimated to it correctly, the star polyps will probably handle high light. My green star polyps are about 4 inches under the surface under AI LED's running at 80% and they've started growing like weeds, but it took some time for them to acclimate to the high light

I think it might be a green slimer, actually. I have a couple spots in mind for the polyps, just nit the frogspawn, but ill find somewhere. Ill probably be moving stuff around...

To frag the frogspawn, break the branch off as far down as you can go -- you don't want to damage the flesh. You can use scissors, pliers, or your hands to break it.

For the green star polyps, they grow on a purple colored mat that covers rock. The mat is pretty easy to peel up with a fingernail or some tweezers.

So the LFS is holding both the green stars and the frogspawn until i can get them Thursday. :) Im getting the ones I can frag so...can I just cut between the polyps on the star frag?

You will find it hard to cut between the polyps. GSP grows in a purple mat -- just cut the mat and don't worry about the polyps; it will be fine.

Back