New Durasa Clam

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Got one yesterday and my blue legs and nassarius snails keep climbing on him.
WTF! Go away!

Need to worry? He's still open about a 1/2 inch and on the sand bed.

hmmm well anytime mine was only open that much it was bad news.. he never died but i never let him get to that point, i took him back after my clown started hosting him and he got all shrunken.. they are quite sensitive thou so itd be better if they didnt do that

Does it look healthy? Usually they will only bug them if they can smell death! Can you put it somewhere out of their reach? Like on a rock or something?

hmmm well anytime mine was only open that much it was bad news.. he never died but i never let him get to that point, i took him back after my clown started hosting him and he got all shrunken.. they are quite sensitive thou so itd be better if they didnt do that
Well, i just got him and there is quite a bit of flow so i figured if something like a snail is sitting on the rim of the shell, being open a 1/2" isn't all that bad. lol

Does it look healthy? Usually they will only bug them if they can smell death! Can you put it somewhere out of their reach? Like on a rock or something?
Ya, when nobody is bothering him he looks fine and was fully open at the lfs.
But hermies and snails can get to all levels of my tank so not sure what to do.

he's more open now, the snails are farther down the side of the shell.

958855582_H4Puc-O.jpg

Your cuc is just giving him a good welcoming cleaning. All of the algae and microorganisms between the nooks and crannys in its shells ridges. Mines went thru the same thing when I 1st introduced it to the tank.

Like buzzards circling. Mine were doing that and then the next morning they all were laying there burping belly up, and the clam was empty!!!

Are you sure those are nassarius snails? Those don't look like any nassarius snails I've ever seen. Maybe they are clam-eating whelks that are confused for nassarius snails?

That clam looks healthy to me.But the fact that those Nass. snails are hangin around it MIGHT not be a good sign.

Nice looking Derasa. I got one several months ago. Yours looks like he`s doing good. He`s just acclimating to your tank.

Old thread or not.You got good eyes Kid.:D
That is a type of welk on the left side of the clam.Its a Trumpet snail and is a predator.

Back