New equipment.

saltwater sasquatch

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,
I have had my aquarium up and running for quite some time now and have gone through a couple ups and downs. When I first started I talked to a LFS and they told me all I needed was a power filter and good lighting. So as the time has gone on I have purchased my HO T5 6 X 48 watt light fixture and a circulation pump and I had just been running the powerfilter. However I have experienced some troubles with algae and ammonia spikes and whatnot. So after talking to people on this blog I just bought a in tank protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer. My next purchase will be the RODI system so I can stop buying the grocery store out of distilled water.
Anyways I was wondering if this should be enough to suffice for tank upkeep with regular water changes or do I need to invest more money :frustrat: into the tank? For some further information I have 55 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of LR and 4 green chromis, yellow tang, a serpent starfish, a zebra blenny, a clown and a red spotted goby along with a snowflake eel and a few peices of coral.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also with the skimmer and uv sterilizer is there a need for the power filter?
Thanks again this blog is great!

I dont think you need to buy anymore equipment, but your tank is seriously overstocked. In a 55 gal tank you are limited to 5 small fish. The yellow tang need a bigger tank anyways, and the rest of the fish are going to have trouble finding room for them to be comfortable and to grow, not to mention the are probably running low on oxygen.

Also, there is no need for the filter, but make sure you have plenty of water movement

Back