New Fish dissapeared

Aqua_man

The Fish Guy
Hey just got a new fish for my tank and this morning its missing idk if its hiding or it died but cant find it so weird had this happen to my tang is this common problem?

to be honest with you forgot the name Started with a c and it was colorful fish had blue dots yellow tail and orange body I put it in tank for about 15 minutes with bag it came in maybe longer then I took it out of bag and released it it was shy but didnt see any signs of fighting

Chevron Tang? Never had one but from what i've read I don't believe they would be happy/healthy in a 30 gallon. He's probably hiding.

Its not uncommon for fish to hide for several days after being introduced into a new environment. It sounds like you just acclimated the fish to the temp of your water and not your parameters

In the future, you should really spend more time acclimating your fish. I drip acclimate for at least an hour after floating the bag for 15 minutes in the tank for the temperature to equalize

From your description, it's sounds like this one
Red Coris Wrasse

They get way too big for a 30g, over a foot long. They also cannot be kept with inverts as they become adults. The reason you havent seen him though is because when they're stressed or go to sleep, they burrow into the sand. They can spend days/weeks at a time burrowed. My leopards hide in the sand all the time.

I would think the way you acclimated it probably put it into shock. If its still alive my guess is that its somewhere not feeling to good right now.

The least you should do is add a little of your water to the water its in every 15 minutes for an hour or so to give it the opportunity to get used to it.

Like Brian said, it's going to be a big fish. I hope you plan on upgrading to a 125g. If not, you might want to bring it back if he pops back out.

Well, if you had researched before you bought them you wouldnt be out the money or go through the trouble of trying to catch them and return them.

My dad always said "measure twice, cut once". I suggest you "research twice and buy once".

It's all good, we've all made mistakes in this hobby. Maybe you could post on craiglist or your local reefing forum for someone to buy them from you.

Back