new fish

brandontucker407

Reefing newb
I just got two new wild powder blue tangs and a bistletooth but they are not use to eating on a clip. How do I get them use to it because they want to eat they pick on the little bit of algae i have in the tank.:sfish:

How are they used to eating? I would say hang it and see what happens. But I'm sure some one will help you out maybe with a trick or two. Good Luck

Try rubber banding some algae sheets to a rock and putting them in the tank. When they start eating from that, slowly move the rock towards where you want to put the algae clip. Once it gets close enough, move the algae sheet from the rock to the clip and it should work.

I just got two new wild powder blue tangs and a bistletooth but they are not use to eating on a clip. How do I get them use to it because they want to eat they pick on the little bit of algae i have in the tank.:sfish:
If you just got them, give it alittle time to acclimate. Just leave the food on the clip, they'll figure it out.

he said they were wild. that's why they've never been
in a tank.+1 the rubberband and the rock, that's how my
tangs eat.

Pics or it didn't happen!! :D

Whatever you do, don't put them back in the wild if you decide you can't get them to eat ;)

+1 everyone -- wrap it to a rock. That's how I got my foxface to eat it off a rock, and gradually upgraded him to a clip, which I put really low on the tank. Now he has no issues eating it from the top of the tank.

And update your signature LOL

yea, scary when we see tangs in a 40g or 29g cause thats what the signature says! :D

I also did the rock idea, it is a good way to go.

All tangs are wild. None of them are captive bred. That doesn't have anything to do with their eating habits.

None of them are tank bred? The naso tangs have a male/female difference.

I think he means that they've never ever been in a tank before so they're not at all used to it. If you buy them from the store they obviously have had some experience with being in a tank.

Back