New fish.

Dantitan

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon tank. I currently have 2 green chromis and one strawberry dottyback. My wife REALLY wants a couple of wimple fish. Do you guys think that would be fine if I don't plan to add anymore fish afterwards?

Are you talking about a moorish idol or a bannerfish? I got both when i googled wimple fish.

If its the moorish idol, no way. No one has success with them, especially not in 75 gal tank.

The bannerfish might do ok in there, but there are 3 different varieties and only one is reef supposably safe and im not sure how to tell which one is. Butterfly fish are really hard to keep, they are super delicate, not reef safe and I think they need a much more specialized diet than we can offer to keep them healthy.

Try this name heniochus diphreutes. Its not a moorish idol. Although it would be freakin' awesome to have one of those fish, I didn't pick this hobby up yesterday. :) There is a bannerfish called a threadfin bannerfish that is VERY similar to the wimple fish and is not reef safe. My book says that the wimplefish is very hardy and reef safe.

Ya, the heniochus are the bannerfish i was talking about, and i still hold to what I said about them being hardy, but if you can figure out how to correctly identify which one is reef safe compared to which ones are not (i think maybe its the number of spines in the dorsal fin?) then you could try it.

I was just asking about the number of fish in my tank. I have 3 very small fish now and if I add the two wimple fish, would that be too much fish or right about what I would need to stock at?

Na, you would be fine adding those guys. I would say even after their addition you would have room for a couple more small guys, like a pair of clowns or a goby.

Also i should add those bannerfish are probably the hardiest of the butterflies, so they might do well with you.

If you do fine out the trick to telling which one is reef safe, can you let me know?

My book says "The two species can be distinguished by differences in their anal fins. In H. diphreutes, the rearmost black stripe extends to the tip of the anal fin, whereas in H. acuminatus the black stripe does not reach the tip of the fin, which is white." Hope that helps. :)

Well i tried googling both species and I cant see a difference between the two, but that might just be an issue with google or im just not looking at the right thing.

Back