New from ky

912jake

Reefing newb
hey everyone just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Jake and I'm fairly new to the hobby. Me and my girlfriend have a small 10 gallon tank with one clownfish and a small live rock. However we have had a horrible time with algea so and everywhere we looked said our main problem was such a small tank so we now have a 30 gallon tank that we will soon be starting the cycling process however we wanna do everything right and eventually have coral down the road so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice

Hello and welcome to the site! One of the biggest contributors to algae is using tap water. You should only use RODI water. If you are using tap water, you can buy RO (reverse osmosis) water at any grocery store, Walmart, or fish store. You can also buy your own RODI unit to make good quality water at home.

Post pics of your tank!

Well thanks for all the replies so quickly. A reverse osmosis unit is something I'll be purchasing in the near future. But I do have a pur water filter on my sink I'm sure it's not as effective as the RO but would it be sufficent to use to get the tank cycling or would it be a better bet to hold off on filling the tank until I can do RO?

I started my 125 with 130 gallons of distilled water from wal-mart.:D
Yeah,the wife wasnt happy about that one.:shock:

Back