New Guy

Pyro

Reefing newb
Hello,
I am the new Guy... As of right now anyway.
I am in my mid 30's, wife and 4 year old son.

I currently have a 26 gallon tank with:
2 Clown fish 1 true and 1 false Percula
1 Hippo Tang 3-1/2 inches
1 Sailfin Tang
1 3 stripe Damsel
many Xenia
live rock

I have been battling aiptasia for about 2 months. I HATE this stuff. I have to admit I was feeding it at first then I found out what it was.

I am currently looking to upgrade to a 65 gallon tank. The widest I can go is about 40 inches. Until I hit the lottery and buy a much larger house.

Well thats about it. Cheers!:Cheers:

Hello Pyro. Welcome to Living Reefs. Get yourself so Aiptasia-X to rid your tank of the Aiptasia. It works very well if you keep on it.

couple of peppermint shrimp could help there are a bunch of good LFS in NJ and welcome

Heres the thing. I have had numerous Shrimp in the past. They all get eaten. :grumble: They live for a few days or weeks then I find a bit of carcus lying around or 1 leg floating on top. The hermit crabs dont eat the Aiptasa and I cant keep shrimp alive long enough to see if they will work out. I just have bad luck with shrimp. All they are for me is an expensive meal for my fish.

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me and offering advice.

Peppermint shrimp are usually really cheap. I threw 3 into my last tank and they only lived a few weeks but it was long enough for them to wipe out the aptaisa that was growing. I kept noticing there were suddenly fewer and fewer. I blamed it on a hitchhiker crab I never was able to catch until I broke the tank down.

Welcome to the site.

Wow,I'm floored, a hippo and a sailfin in a 26g.The sailfin grows to a foot and a half alone.It's like having your pet dog live in a closet.The humane thing to do is take them both back.

Both Tangs are only about 3 inches long. I got them both when they were really really tiny. They swim into the current created by the power head. I am currently looking for a larger tank so they all have more room to play.

To be honest the largest fish in there is the 3 stripe damsel. That's probably because he eats every shrimp I buy.

Eeek. Even small tangs of those species need at least 75 gallons. They need A LOT of swimming space, regardless of how small they are. Tangs stress easily and usually live very short lives when they are forced to live in such small tanks.

Welcome to the site pyro... I had a yellow tang and a hippo tang in my 55 gallon tank for about 3 years. I heard the same things that everyone is telling you, but the fish seemed happy so I kept them until I moved and then all of my fish died :grumble:...

Now i'm not saying that what I did was right or encourage it, but if the fish are happy the fish are happy.

Good luck with your current tank

Welcome to the site pyro... I had a yellow tang and a hippo tang in my 55 gallon tank for about 3 years. I heard the same things that everyone is telling you, but the fish seemed happy so I kept them until I moved and then all of my fish died :grumble:...

The difference is a 55 gallon tank still provides 4 feet of swimming room for tangs. I kept tangs in my old 55 as well. A 20 something gallon tank is not acceptable for tangs, and can't be compared to a 55.

I agree 100% Biff, I was just stating that since they were talking about getting a 65 gallon tank I believe. Just kind of a future reference kinda thing :mrgreen:

I've gotta agree with the others, but I'm not gonna beat you up over it. If you're in the market for a 65g tank, maybe you could take the Tangs back and get some store credit toward the purchase. Even a 65g is far too small for Tangs.

May I recommend putting an ad on Craigslist offering to trade 2 tangs for a 65g tank. Believe me there are plenty of reefers out there that would be more than happy to do it.

Back