new guy

ssewards

Reefing newb
hi all , just been reading some of the posts and they are very helpful. i am running a 75 g salt tank w/just a fluval 404 can filter. approx 75 lbs live rock and hang on skimmer.piece of junk. i'm working on setting up 125 g tank i purch used. after reading here it looks like i will build a sump to acomodate a good skimmer. i know there are probably tons of postings for diff skimmers and which ones are best. but if anyone has suggestions i would appreciate it so i can try and not make as few mistakes as possible. also what to put in sump for filtration ? would be great. i also got a red sea ocean clear can filter w/tank. my fishes are greatful ! and can not wait for their new home. :D

Hello and welcome to the site!

If you have a good protein skimmer, you don't need a canister filter. In fact, canister filters can sometimes lead to high nitrates, which is bad in a reef tank.

The best brand of skimmers for their affordability are Octopus skimmers. You can find them for sale at aquacave.com. If you have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon and a protein skimmer, you do not need any other sort of filtration or filters. You may also want to check into building an algae scrubber, which are becoming an increasingly popular type of filter instead of using a protein skimmer. The thread on how to do so can be found in our DIY forum.

thanks for replying so soon , i'm using tap water in my current 75g tank but just received new ro / di set up. can't wait to get her running. lots of great info on ro units here also. thanks again.

Welcome to the forum! It's good you are getting rid of the tap water. RODI units are great and make this hobby more enjoyable. Looking forward to your pics.

what size sump tank would be good for the 125g tank. i am keeping in mind the opening of my stand is in the center w/two doors only. opening is 20 1/2 x 20 1/2. the base is 17" wide. i just want to get sump big enough for reef octo skimmer & refuge . i have lil giant ext pump and will have to drill the glass sump , no problem i hope. it will be fun & noisey.

Back