new guy

spaceman

Reefing newb
.hi all , my name is scott , and lm just about to venture in to the world of salt water tanks.i just had my 2nd sons bday all done in nemo,which brought me here .i always liked fish just never got one .well now i do! i just got a 35 gallon tank /stand(really dont have the room for anything bigger ) from a friend and started to do some research . Any help to jump start me would be great. thanks scott

hey scott, I am also new but one of the first things I did when I became interested in the hobby was get a book. I now have 3 books but the one I like the best is "The Marine Reef Aquarium" by Philip Hunt.

Welcome to the site and to the salty side. This is a great site for info, lots of really helpful experienced people. Books are awesome I would also like to mention The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Lots of research and patience is the best start. Lots of things to consider. Are you thinking about Reef (Corals) or Fish Only. Reasearch fish compalibility and requirements for care. Are you going to use a sump? Is the tank drilled? If not you will need to think about an overflow. Try to stay away from canister filters (Nitrate factories). Lighting another thing, specially if you are thinking about a reef tank. You are going to need some rock, about 40-50lbs for tank, couple of powerheads for circulation. Checkout all the sticky posts on the site there is alot of good info.

Welcome
https://www.livingreefs.com/up-and-running-t40847.html

Lots of research and patience is the best start.

That probably the best advice anyone can give you. I was researching saltwater fish and aquariums about a year before I ever had one. Not saying you have to do like I did but patients is key. Welcome aboard.

I want to do a this tank with coral and fish , i definitly need to do a little more research and ttalk to people for guidence.so far just have the tank .i have a filter he gave me but dont k ow if i can use it said he had fresh water going through it , im also assuming that it is ok to flow enough water for this tank as he had it on it .i have heard that i should have a filter that can out flow the tank by 20 gallons ? Is this correct ? Like i said more research and a little guidence and i should be fine . tank is not drilled ,assuming by drilled , meaning having holes for plumbing and whatnot to move the water around . thanks for the welcome

Back