New hitchhiker

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
So i bought three big new rocks and put them in my tank about four days ago.Today i have noticed the one rock has a hollow spot and in that spot is living a little crab.He will not come out enough to get a pic,he looks like a spider he is hairy,and about the size of a quarter.His claws have dark orangish tips.Any ideas?Should I remove him?Also he is grey in color.

Do the tips of the claws come to sharp points or are they cup shaped?
If they're sharp,you'll want to pull him out.If they're cupped,is probably semi-safe.

Didnt see no crab in either of those pics.Unless you had him in your pocket to keep him warm out there.:D

Does it look like this??
IMG_1697.jpg

It looks just like the hairy crab on your Xtalreef link, he is bad so now come the trick of catching him.He wont even come out for a pic im sure he will just walk right into the net.haha

just take a water bottle, cut the top 1/3 off and turn it upside down, insert the inverted top back into the bottom 2/3 portion of the bottle. If you use a ribbed bottle, like arrowhead, the ribbed part of the top will fit into the ribbed part of the bottom and hold the two pieces together without glue. If not then you can just put some silicone on it to hold the pieces together. Poke a couple of small holes in the bottle to let water in, then place some food, like silversides, into the bottle. the crab will go in through the hole to eat the food and will not be able to get back out. Just set it in before you go to bed and you will have every crab in the tank in the trap by morning.

Back