new info about nitrate and DSB

if i understand it this problem only occurs when the oxygen is zero then it creates this third layer which makes it a big problem. i think i have about 8in of sand in my sump but it is a mix of olite and a courser araganite

Very interesting. It does make sense if you think about it. I bet there's others out there proving they're wrong.

Well, there will always be opinions out there against other opinions. But if things work for you, maybe it's not worth the change. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Right now, my 45g has maybe 1/2-1" of sand, just 3 fish, and of course the lr and cuc. The nitrates are practically staying at 0ppm, possibly because of the fuge (and before I had a good fuge, it was hard to get below 10ppm). The fuge has just 1" of miracle sand. But point is, whatever I'm doing now works, so I don't plan on adding more sand. Doesn't mean someone who's got a 5" sand bed and is having good results should change (unless you really want to dig it all out LOL).

Same goes with the bioballs. I didn't like them, and a lot of people would say they're nitrate factories. But I've actually seen people using them and say they've never had problems. :dunno:

Read all four pages of posts on RC and all I can say is :dunno:

It didn't provide anything decisive, so I'll keep little my DSB and deal with it for now.

Read all four pages of posts on RC and all I can say is :dunno:

It didn't provide anything decisive, so I'll keep little my DSB and deal with it for now.

Exactly my point. Who knows....maybe 5 years from now, they'll diss skimmers (yeah, ....suuuuure they would), as unlikely as that may see now LOL Who knows?!?

Back