New Kid

KatTorres

Reefing newb
Hello everyone- I'm Kat. I got into the marine hobby by accident... yeah, I know. I received a 55-gallon tank for free, and I had expected it to be, you know, empty. Of course, it wasn't empty, and hence it broke in transit. I was able to save all three of the Red Tomato Clown fish that it came with since I had a 26-gallon sick tank that was unused at the time (I had been planning to use it for tetras...*sigh*). However, now that I've gotten more involved with the tank, I've gotten more invested in the well-being of the fish. After almost a year (I've had these guys since last November) I've only lost one fish, which I counted as pretty good for having no idea what I'm doing.
Otherwise- I've got a 30-40 gallon rated off-the-back filter (a cheap one from PetSmart...hey, I get an employee discount!), a Marineland 40-50 gallon heater (yes, overpowered, but it came with the 55-gallon tank) and today I put on an Oceanic Bio-Cube protein skimmer- though, since I only have two fish with some live rock, some people told me this was unnecessary. The tank itself is a 26-gallon bow-front, and I have a Marineland LED lighting system that has day and moon settings.
My first question I guess is...can I add an anemone yet? (Yes, my fish are named Marty and Nemo. Originality was not on my agenda when they arrived on my doorstep).
So if anyone could provide me with some guidance...(like, when the heck is this protein skimmer going to start foaming?!) I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks! :bounce:

Hello welcome to the forum. Lets see....first. Do you have any Live Rock in your tank? Second you dont really need a hob filter in salt. I do use them to occasionally run carbon and you could run it empty for flow. The filter material is a big time nitrate factory if you dont clean weekly. Your filter is the live rock and a good clean up crew. Third need more info on the lights to tell if you could have a anemone. Everyone thinks they are cool however they are hard to keep. If it doesnt get enough light it will die and if it dies it will take the rest of the tank with it. I have had salt tanks since 92 and I have yet to try one. I watched my father in law kill several tanks with them. I guess I am to chicken to try it. There is so much info on this site read read and then read some more. I dont think there is only one way to do things but there are harder and easier methods. Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Ted has you covered. How much live rock do you have in your tank?

Well, hi everyone! Nice to meet you!
Answer: I have TONS of live rock. Like, it takes up a good 1/4-1/3 of the tank. However- in moving the tank to a new room recently, I took it out of the water for a few hours. The little- what looks like little sponges?- came back, but I haven't seen it be as lively as when it had established itself before this move. I have had a major nitrate problem in the tank, but I just tested today while doing a water change and everything else is good or normal. I have been adding some nitrate reducer every time I change the water, but I don't feel like it's doing much. Should I replace my live rock?
Thanks again for the help!
Ps- I think I will be keeping my hob filter for now- every time I replace it, it looks greenish and gross...unless this is something that I should be keeping in the water, something beneficial?
I do allow some algae growth- I read in my handy tank manual that some growth can help with nitrate- perhaps a plant will be better? I've had success with my planted freshwater tank.
Again- thanks everyone!

Saltwater is a totally different animal than freshwater.

How often are you changing out your filters on the HOB? I know Dana ran one forever, but he changed the filters super frequently.

You should be (if you're not already) using RODI water for your tank (not tap water).
Nitrate reducers shouldn't be necessary and a lot of us shy away from using chemicals like that in our tanks.

Your rock will probably bounce back, but you'll have a bit of die off leaving it out of the water for so long. In the future, keep it submerged.

Are you using the strips or the liquid kit? You should pick up the API saltwater master test kit (and you should have it at your store). The reef master kit would be helpful coral-wise.

Erin- lol tell me about it. This tank takes three times the work as my planted freshwater. However, with only my two little guys (red tomato's, the larger being about 2.5 inches, the smaller about half that) in the tank I've only needed to change the filters every two weeks or so, and it'll sometimes be better or worse, with no rhyme nor reason that's obvious to me.
I do have the reef master kit- I hate using strips since I have to use them all the time at work- and I picked up an extra copper kit since I would like to get into either coral or plant life next.
I treat my home's water, but I don't have "tap water"- I have well water, and as far as I know our system for purifying it is pretty intense. Would that effect my marine system? I can't really get to a store to buy pre-treated water- the only marine specialty store is 45 minutes away from me, and I'm not sure we carry ro/di water at my PetSmart (we have a pretty tiny marine section).
Lastly, the nitrate reducer I have is Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer- again, it's what we carry in-store, so it's what I can get easily- is this not a good option?
Oh! Almost forgot: My light is a Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting system- blue and white 60mW LEDS (whatever that means) with 300 Lumens output. I compared the wavelength chart on the box to that of coral-specific fluorescent bulbs we carry and it seemed that this light had a broader spectrum- and would last me longer- was this a good idea? Will LEDS do the job? It has a night and day, which I've set to have a 16 hours of daylight and 8 hours of night. Too much or too little?

Erin- lol tell me about it. This tank takes three times the work as my planted freshwater. However, with only my two little guys (red tomato's, the larger being about 2.5 inches, the smaller about half that) in the tank I've only needed to change the filters every two weeks or so, and it'll sometimes be better or worse, with no rhyme nor reason that's obvious to me.
I do have the reef master kit- I hate using strips since I have to use them all the time at work- and I picked up an extra copper kit since I would like to get into either coral or plant life next.
I treat my home's water, but I don't have "tap water"- I have well water, and as far as I know our system for purifying it is pretty intense. Would that effect my marine system? I can't really get to a store to buy pre-treated water- the only marine specialty store is 45 minutes away from me, and I'm not sure we carry ro/di water at my PetSmart (we have a pretty tiny marine section).
Lastly, the nitrate reducer I have is Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer- again, it's what we carry in-store, so it's what I can get easily- is this not a good option?
Oh! Almost forgot: My light is a Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting system- blue and white 60mW LEDS (whatever that means) with 300 Lumens output. I compared the wavelength chart on the box to that of coral-specific fluorescent bulbs we carry and it seemed that this light had a broader spectrum- and would last me longer- was this a good idea? Will LEDS do the job? It has a night and day, which I've set to have a 16 hours of daylight and 8 hours of night. Too much or too little?

Every Petsmart has a tiny saltwater section (mine does, too ;))

You can get distilled water at any grocery store/walmart/Target/whatever. I don't use any chemicals in my tank... natural methods are much preferred in this hobby.

I'd change your filters at least once a week if not more. The stuff that the filter "catches" just starts to decompose in the filter media itself, and in doing so craps up your water.

You're running your lights a bit long, 8-12 hours is the norm. (the night light can stay on all the time.)

I haven't heard of anyone using the single brights. I think most of the people here who use the Marinelands use either the double brights or the reef ready.

Back