New Lawnmower Blenny

Tetra1

Reefing newb
I just want to let everyone know that my new lawnmower blenny is really aggressive, when we put the Nori in the tank he attacks it like he has never eaten ever. He was so aggressive in his attack the other day, he actually bit my fiance'. I have to say that it has not happened to me yet, but I am being very cautious as I know it probably will eventually. I did however, laugh at my fiance' about it. It was kinda funny!

I included a picture of the perpetrator. LOL!

:shock::mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,460
Glad he took to nori. I had one to help clean up the HA in my tank, then started to add the Nori when it was mostly gone, but he never took to it. He died of starvation a few weeks later :sniffles:

Glad he took to nori. I had one to help clean up the HA in my tank, then started to add the Nori when it was mostly gone, but he never took to it. He died of starvation a few weeks later :sniffles:

I had the same thing happen with my first blenny too.

My lawnmower is aggressive, too...in fact, he CHASES the foxface away from the algae! I have 2 algae clips near the surface...he will go to whichever one the foxface is in, even though the other one is closer to him :shock: He's a jerk, but I love him :)

Yea my LFS didn't have any lawnmower blennys, so I got something that looks like one.

Did you notice if the scooter dragonette ate frozen food at the LFS? They do not eat algae, but pods. They can sometimes clear out the pod population in a short time and then starve to death. Hopefully, he will take to frozen food so you dont have to deal with the loss.

Did you notice if the scooter dragonette ate frozen food at the LFS? They do not eat algae, but pods. They can sometimes clear out the pod population in a short time and then starve to death. Hopefully, he will take to frozen food so you dont have to deal with the loss.

Yep he took some frozen mysis. He found some while scurrying along the bottom of the tank. He likes putting rocks in his mouth and spitting them back out. Kind of funny actually.

My lawnmower blenny has outlived every other tankmate and is none aggressive in a 175 gallon lightly stocked reef tank. They are scavengers. I have never had a problem with mine. :)

Back