New Light

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
I am looking for a reasonably price light fixture for my 55 gal if i want to turn it into a reef tank. what should i go with? and where might i find it?

Depends on what your calling resonable. I myself think DRS foster and smith is a great company but I do think their light prices are high, well any light prices are high but theirs are more than I want to spend.

i know this is going to sound stupid, but i never understood why T-5's are better than anything else. could someone explain this to me?

They use less power, but put out more light. They also put off less heat which can be a huge issue for people. I have read many times over that t-5 are the new metal halide because they are compairable to metal halides. Same or close to same light, less power, and less heat= great light.

drs fosters and smith are running a sale on the nova t-5's (48inch) fixture for $200, you think that is a decent price for that. i was looking and i found a 48inch 260watt PC for $100 on aquatraders, but it is odyessa which is known for being crappy, i may end up getting the t-5's

there a lot of companies that are manufacturing t-5, good ligths for less its price, less than the leading brand..like odyssea,mozoo, even coralife is selling some good t-5 for good prices..surf the web, youll find a lot of options....

drs fosters and smith are running a sale on the nova t-5's (48inch) fixture for $200, you think that is a decent price for that. i was looking and i found a 48inch 260watt PC for $100 on aquatraders, but it is odyessa which is known for being crappy, i may end up getting the t-5's

Go with the Nova even though its $100 more.I do think the Odyssea is a decent fixture but I hear the bulbs are crap.The Nova should let you keep any softies/LPS you like.If you can hold off for a little while,the Nova's will have individual reflectors here in the next couple of months.

Back