New Lights or Skimmer?

Rufio808

Reefing newb
So my current set-up is pretty simple. 20L tank with HOB filter and some generic light fixture. My birthday and Christmas will be here very soon (woot for having birthdays in December) and I've been thinking about what to upgrade with my tank. I've been really wanting to go and get a larger tank, but at the same time I don't have the room for anything larger in my apartment.

So, my question is should I grab some new lighting or go for a HOT skimmer? I really like how some of the reefers here who have the suspended lights, but I also would like a skimmer to help keep my tank in tip-top shape.

Thanks in advance LF! You guys are awesome!

What kind of lights you you have currently? If you have. 20g tank it isn't necessary to have a skimmer on it. And to use a HOB model of skimmer would take up a lot of space in your display. I can take measurements of mine later but, I'm sure in tank you'd lose about 8"x4-5" of space.

Good advise Brian. I think a HOB skimmer would take up quite a bit of space as well. With a 20g tank you don't really need a skimmer. Heck, I have a 75g and its skimmerless. I would buy a small overflow and set up a small fuge or convert the HOB filter into a HOB fuge. Then you can spend your money on better lights and get all types of corals.

Hey thanks for all the great info guys. Yeah I was researching the CPR aeroforce and bak pak models and they were kinda big. I will definitely go with the lights. Any recommendations on a light stand. I'll mostly go with some type of T5s.

Future sump build will also be a nice project.

20 gallon aquariums are typically 24'' long.

I like this for your tank,although not necessary for that size tank.The individual reflectors plus moonlights and timers are a nice bonus.Whatever you decide go for four T5-HO bulb fixture.

CU-USA01150 Premium Aquatics

20 longs are 30 inches, that fixture would be too short. I think your going to have a hard time finding any T5 fixtures that are 30" long.

The standard 20g are 24" long but, touche on the lights, I looked at all of them on that site except for the other sundials.:bowdown:

If you are looking at purchasing online...go to Catalina Aquarium
He makes excellent fixtures, and made mine specifically for my planted tank. Granted the bulbs are 24in long, but they are staggered. You can get a 30 in fixture and have them sit on the tank...with 24 watt lamps...any configuration...give him a call. Or a 36 in and suspend it and get 36 in bulbs and have a higher light output! But as always this is only my opinion

Something else you might think about is hanging either a 70 or 150 HQI metal halide over it.
If you hang a 150 watt over the center,that would give you 3" on each end for lower light corals.

I found a 30" T5 fixture when I had my 20L...I forget what it was called, but it was 2x54 watts, and I kept lots of different types of corals in there.

Back